Thread: Ft Rich test?

Default Ft Rich test?

I have a black powder permit for Ft Rich and I want to start practicing up for the proficiency test in August. does anyone know what the test consists of? I shoot a traditional .54 so I do most of my practice out to 75 yards max. Will I need to shoot further for the test? Can I shoot round balls? Thanks!!

Last year it was 5 shots at 50 yards. 4 out of 5 needed to be in the kill zone. Pretty easy to qualify and the guy who shot in front of me was using round balls. They'll send you an info packet telling you all about it with contact info. We shot in early Aug.

Thanks, I scheduled today. The reply email said basically the same thing 50 yards but they said 3 out of 5. Not sure how big they say the vital zone is....12"?

It was at least 12 inches a couple of years ago. Pretty easy deal.

Full size moose silouete. Kill zone is around 12"; its not marked on the silouete, they evaluate whether it is in kill zone or not. But its pretty easy. You are supposed to shoot with the same powder/bullet/rifle combination that you are hunting with. They will record the combination when you arrive and if you get checked while hunting and don't have what you tested with, they can end your hunt right then pull your pass/permit.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

I have never applied for a black powder drawing permit at Fort Rich, but plan to do so this next draw. I was stationed at Ft Rich for 4 years and there are some nice moose.

I know that in order to even apply for the hunt you must have been certified by ADFG which entails qualifying with a muzzleloader. It appears that JBER requires successful draw applicants to qualify with the setup you plan to hunt with and the qualification is distinct and apart from the state course. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. The archery hunt also requires a separate qualification at Ft Rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by gdkodiak View Post
    I have never applied for a black powder drawing permit at Fort Rich, but plan to do so this next draw. I was stationed at Ft Rich for 4 years and there are some nice moose.

I know that in order to even apply for the hunt you must have been certified by ADFG which entails qualifying with a muzzleloader. It appears that JBER requires successful draw applicants to qualify with the setup you plan to hunt with and the qualification is distinct and apart from the state course. Is that correct?
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Did they let you use a rest or did you have to shoot off hand??