Thread: Caribou bag limits

Default Caribou bag limits

I am sure I know the answer to this but if someone has a dc480 draw tag for caribou, bag limit of 1 and they go to the haul road and shoot a caribou first are they over the limit for that draw tag or does that just pertain to harvest tickets? I am assuming it does. Also if you were going to go caribou hunting the haul road from now thru november when are the general best/ worst times to try and find animals? Due to unforeseen medical issues in the family we were'nt able to make the spring trip.

Yes. You're first caribou would have to be from the unit with a bag limit of one. It's in the regs somewhere, but the spell it out that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

It is in there just curious if draws were different in any way

Quote Originally Posted by Happily View Post
    It is in there just curious if draws were different in any way
    Nope - same limit rules apply to draw, registration, and harvest ticket hunts.

My interpretation of the bag limit rules is as follows...

If you shot your first caribou on the haul road, then you could no longer use your nelchina drawing tag with a bag limit of 1. But, if you did shoot your caribou for your permit first, then you could still shoot an additional 4 caribou on the haul road because in that unit there is a limit of 5. But you are not obligated to fill your drawing tag. Ethically, some might argue you should not have applied for the tag in the first place if you did not intend to use it. But, if you opted to not use it and go up the haul road instead, you would not be in violation of the law to do so.

Exactly. Here it is from page 16 of the regs:

"You may hunt a species if the bag limit in your hunt area is greater than the number of animals of that species you have already taken anywhere in the state. If the limit is greater, you may take the number of ani­mals needed to reach the limit.
    For example: if you took one black bear from Unit 6 (which has a limit of one black bear) and then go to Unit 9 (which has a limit of three black bears), you may take up to two more black bears in Unit 9. But if you hunt in Unit 9 first (limit of three black bears) and kill one black bear, you may not hunt black bear in Unit 6 (limit of one black bear) within the same regulatory year because you have at­tained the bag limit for that unit."
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

thanks for the replies I did read all that. For the record the tag is my sons I never seem to draw which is why i asked for more opinions because the regs sometimes write different things in different locations. I absolutely agree you should not draw tags and not use them. Which he will use. I was looking at statistics yesterday and saw tags drawn vs. people hunted and it pisses me off when people want those tags and can't get them. I plan on going up the haul road and was just planning whether I was going alone or going later etc. Thinking about early august or not. Once again all replies are appreciated as I've read thousands of posts but it hard to fully re-read a 20 page thread looking for something you saw 6 months ago