Thread: Would you eat a pink?

Default Would you eat a pink?

Howdy all, just got home from a week of fishin' and relaxin' in Seldovia....caught a few nice fish snagging in the salt. Lost track of how many yummy looking pinks and chums I saw get ripped up by snagging hooks and thrown back. Now, this is a pet peeve of mine; it may not be my business, but I consider it wasteful and disrespectful. Don't any of these people own smokers? Or dogs? I grilled a couple of chrome-bright little pinks over the campfire, they were sure tasty with zucchini and wild rice! Sure, I know they're not as sexy as kings or reds (caught a nice blueback too, one night) but they are still healthier than any crap you can buy in the grocery store. So? anybody been eating these lowly creatures?
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

If caught in the salt yes, if caught in fresh water no.

There is NOTHING wrong with a pink, regardless of fresh or salt water. It's a product of time into the spawning cycle. If they are still chrome, then they are good fish. If they are gray, they are marginal. If they are going green or humping, they are junk.

Cook them up fresh just like you'd do with a trout. In fact, if you have a trout recipe you like, use a pink.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I'd eat a pink with relish!... or possibly lemon or tartar sauce.

Some of the best salmon I have eaten was a pink out of salt, right on the boat, still wiggling. A lot of people say they don't freeze well but I had one the other day that was very good.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Default Would you eat a pink?

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    ...yummy looking pinks and chums... So? anybody been eating these lowly creatures?
    Heck yea! As noted, dime bright Pinks are fine eating, as are Chum. And Chum are very fine smokers too.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

There is not a salmon species I have not eaten and /or would not eat again! They are all good.
    If nothing else pinks can up nicely as well.
    When I was commercial fishing a friend and fellow captain smoked up all 5 species he had caught and smoked them with the same exact receipe.
    99% of the people who eat salmon would not have been able to tell the difference in them. Most of them we had to compare color etc. as by taste alone they all tasted great and were hard to differentiate.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Yep... caught in the salt there is nothing wrong with one. Once the hit freshwater they turn very quickly and then you can drink one through a straw.

But a chrome one is decent and smoked they're as good as any other salmon. I mean really, smoked salmon is the bacon of seafood. And you can't go wrong with bacon.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Yep... caught in the salt there is nothing wrong with one. Once the hit freshwater they turn very quickly and then you can drink one through a straw.

But a chrome one is decent and smoked they're as good as any other salmon. I mean really, smoked salmon is the bacon of seafood. And you can't go wrong with bacon.
    Except Turkey bacon...
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

There is nothing wrong with turkey bacon, I buy and cook it all the time.

Feeding it to the wife and kids keeps them out of my pork and bear bacon!

Some pinks never go into freshwater. Look at some of the terminal fisheries, such as Valdez. They stay in the salt and they spawn in the salt. The rip-rap along Dayville road in Valdez gets covered with eggs as the fish try to spawn on the ocean beach. Just because they are in salt doesn't mean they are good. Go by color, not location.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

We've been getting lots of chrome pinks through the lower end of the kenai flossing for reds. We love em'! We're going to can some, but we even baked one and IMHO it was just as good as any other salmon. Very juicy. Like cdubbin said, definitely better than what you get in the store

I'm going against what most are saying. I don't eat pinks or chums, chrome or not. If I want salmon it will be a red, king, or silver. If I don't catch any of those, I guess I'm not eating salmon
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Definately. One thing I hate to do is put a fish back in the water that I know is going to die. Pinks seem to be the most fragile of salmon and when I was fishing for silvers last fall we ended up hooking a fair number of pinks. Any of them that were bleeding went in the fish box.

They smoke up just great, and the only comments I received from people I've shared them with is either can I have more, or what's your recipe.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.