Thread: Spey Casting Techniques

Default Spey Casting Techniques

So my wife surprised me this father's day with a new spey rod. I totally wasn't expecting it, but I love it. I must admit it is a little more difficult to cast with than I expected though. I got it out and practiced a little bit on the Gulkana. I think I am starting to get the hang of it, but I still have a lot to learn. I am far from making the 100 foot casts you always hear about, but I can see it is definitely useful to have when the thick vegetation is behind your back. I went to Three Rivers in Wasilla and Mike Hudson suggested I use the switch chucker spey line. So he set me up with it. He said it is much more forgiving than your typical traditional or skagit spey lines. Any tips from anyone on how to improve my technique? Mike Hudson suggested taking a class from some guy in Eagle River in the spring. I can't recall the name of the guy though. Thanks.

I would take a class. I ended up spending way too much wasted time trying to learn myself. I was amazed how much more quickly I learned from someone who was a good spey caster. If you can't take a class, there are quite a few videos that could show you how to Snap-T and Double Spey. Welcome to a whole new addiction.

Thanks AKFly7. Yeah I pretty much got the double spey down, but not perfected. That seems to be the simplest cast. It took me a awhile to figure out how to do it left-handed when the river is flowing downstream on your left. That is something that is a little bit different using a two-handed rod. But once I figured that out, it wasn't too hard to do. I practiced the Snap-T a little, but I am still having a hard time with it. I am having a hard time finding my anchor point when I do the snap-T.

Do you remember the name of the guy you took the class from and do you have his number?

I actually was lucky enough to bump into a great caster on the river who spent a couple hours with me. He was able to quickly show me my faults and it seemed much easier. I would contact Mike at Mossy's fly shop and he could point you in the right direction. I believe he is associated with the ER class.

Tip 1: sloooow down
    Tip 2: use bottom hand more
    Tip 3: stop higher
    Tip 4: commit-when you go, you go
    Tip 5: be consistent, even if you're consistently wrong, poor technique is fixable, inconsistency is harder to fix.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
    (I probably say that to myself 5000x a day when I'm using a 2 hander)

Beyond that its kinda hard to give tips without knowing your setup, target use, and what you are having problems with.
    There are tons of resources out there for learning. I primarily learned through YouTube, skagitmaster, forums, blogs, etc. But I also recognize that some people cannot learn like that, everybody learns things differently.

Lots of guys on here well versed on spey, mike, gsmolt, Danner, and plenty more. Ask specific questions and they will provide answers.

Good tips. Thanks icb12.

Great tips from ICB12. I will reiterate tip one: slow down. After you think you've slowed down, trying going a little slower in all your actions with smooth transitions. Stop pushing the rod. Let the rod load and do all the work. Once you're able to make a few casts, practice practice practice. Change tips and practice. Change fly weights and leader lengths and practice. Watch Youtube videos and try to mimic what you see. Learn a few cack handed casts. Go fish! Talk to other guys on the water you see with two hand rods. Have fun!
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Alaska fly tiers has a class on Spay casting in the middle of Augest not sure just what it is all a bout but at Mirror lake middle of Augest
    an it could be just some people from the club are mixed up in it look around an see what is gloing on, SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    Alaska fly tiers has a class on Spay casting in the middle of Augest not sure just what it is all a bout but at Mirror lake middle of Augest
    an it could be just some people from the club are mixed up in it look around an see what is gloing on, SID
    That would be great. Do you know the date and time they are getting together? If you find out please let me know.