Thread: Pic request...

Default Pic request...

I any of you can remember to do it, would you kindly take a quick cell phone pic of the next Kenai sockeye you catch with a belly loaded with those slender roundworms that look like angel-hair pasta.

Post the full size pic here or send me a PM to get the exchange going.

Thanks
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Your a couple hours late. My last red had a belly full. What is your intent with the photos?

Education only
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Default Pic request...

Here ya go Doc. A friend dipnetted this red from the Kasilof ( not Kenai) recently.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-O_.../IMAGE_760.jpg

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

almost every kasilof sockeye I cleaned this year had those. Some of the Kenai fish but no where near as many as the ones from the kasilof. They are all in the belly though.

The person said it was in the meat as well in this one. I think you can see some of them top right.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

This may be a stupid question, but is there any chance that's the milt sac and not a bunch of worms? I've seen the same thing in Copper River sockeyes and just assumed it was the sperm factory since it filled up the belly like eggs.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

There's a testicle (milt sac), a wad of pyloric caecae, and nice tangle of worms…. EXACTLY the ones I was looking for. Thanks, Rudy!
    The KeenEye MD

do those worms make the fish not edible ? I found it in one of my fish and threw it away

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_3S View Post
    do those worms make the fish not edible ? I found it in one of my fish and threw it away
    Sounds like you threw away a perfectly good salmon.

They do get into the meat--at least something similar. We were canning some Kenai reds a few weeks ago and I noticed one crawling around (wife didn't like it and wanted to throw away) before we put in the pressure cooker. pressure cooker kills everything though--just added protein!

The short little pin worms that coil up in the meat are totally different than the LONG angel-hair pasta worms found in the belly cavity of most UCI sockeye. The long ones DO NOT burrow into the meat.

I cut open one of our silvers last week and found a healthy helping of thicker worms (about the cailber of fine spaghetti) in its belly cavity. Mebbe they were just more well-fed? They were pure white in contrast to the thinner ones in the sockeye that typically have a brown streak their entire length. Shoulda taken a pic but my hands were dirty with blood and slime.
    The KeenEye MD

You don't need to pressure cook your salmon to kill the worms, just cook it to a normal cooking temperature, I think something like 140 or 150 degrees. Also keep in mind that, in most cases, cooking just helps to mitigate the "ick" factor. Most of those worms cannot live in your body. The only ones that I have heard as possibly affecting humans are tape worms, which would form cysts you probably wouldn't notice with your naked eye.

So yeah, they look a little gross, but they are not harmful. Just remove visible worms, don't eat it raw, and, in the case of myself and two of my fishing buddies.... don't tell your wife. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.