Thread: Kenai ER chinook 2014 report card

Default Kenai ER chinook 2014 report card

Give ADFG a round of applause...

Final Early Run Kenai River Chinook Inseason Summary

King salmon run update:

On June 30 the daily estimated passage of king salmon was 183 fish for a preliminary season total inriver run of 5,311 early-run king salmon through June 30. Based on inseason assessment information the midpoint of the 2014 early-run was June 11 and was 4 days early compared to typical run-timing through June 30. The optimal escapement goal (OEG) for early-run Kenai River king salmon is 5,300-9,000 fish.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCo...nseasonSummary
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Give ADFG a round of applause...

Final Early Run Kenai River Chinook Inseason Summary

King salmon run update:

On June 30 the daily estimated passage of king salmon was 183 fish for a preliminary season total inriver run of 5,311 early-run king salmon through June 30. Based on inseason assessment information the midpoint of the 2014 early-run was June 11 and was 4 days early compared to typical run-timing through June 30. The optimal escapement goal (OEG) for early-run Kenai River king salmon is 5,300-9,000 fish.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCo...nseasonSummary
    You forgot and ADF&G forgot to subtract the early run fish caught in river from July 1 until they move into the closed waters. So by these figures they could only catch 11 fish before they took it under the goal. What am I giving them an applause for??

However, having used their figures the weir data from the USFWS indicates they probably under counted again - will know more in a couple of weeks.

This run is looking a lot like 2012. LR is starting same way too.

Encouraging to see that there is still an apparent margin of error with the weir counts. sorry ADFG, but I hope it's consistent with last year. Several years of a consistent pattern is worth discussing.

What I found interesting is that the final number was just barely OVER the threshold instead of just barely UNDER the threshold. Margin of error could put the number either side, I'm sure. "Making escapement" sounds better than "missing escapement," though.

It was well inside the seg.

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    It was well inside the seg.
    Someday a full review of the counting methods and management actions will be done. I am hoping that day is sooner than latter. Using July 1st as a cut off date for early and late run and even keeping early and late is out of date. We need tributary vs main river and counting and management plans that reflect that. ADF&G should be leading this discussion instead of reporting 5311 fish which is just silly. They only counted a little over 2000 fish in the sonar all the rest is an expansion based on netting and error adjustments. That is not a good approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    Someday a full review of the counting methods and management actions will be done. I am hoping that day is sooner than latter. Using July 1st as a cut off date for early and late run and even keeping early and late is out of date. We need tributary vs main river and counting and management plans that reflect that. ADF&G should be leading this discussion instead of reporting 5311 fish which is just silly. They only counted a little over 2000 fish in the sonar all the rest is an expansion based on netting and error adjustments. That is not a good approach.
    Bingo! But didn't F&G press really, really hard in Board of Fish meetings to establish Didson as the new gold standard of accurate fish counting? Yes, they did; I was there and watched the power points.