Thread: Combo of sport caught reds and dipnetted reds

Default Combo of sport caught reds and dipnetted reds

Let's say my limit of dipnetted reds is 35, and the night before dipping I catch 3 reds on a rod and I have the 3 reds fillets in a cooler. Can I dip only 32 reds?

What do the regs say?

I'm sorry, I can't read.

They are not related. You can have your 6 sport caught PLUS you can have your 35 dippers with the tails clipped. Two completely separate bag limits and fisheries.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I would advise against lugging your cooler with the 6 line caught reds down onto the beach to be mixed with the personal use fish. Otherwise, you're fine.

Agreed, you would get a ticket for your unclipped sport-caught reds if they are mixed in with your PU fish.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I'm sorry, I can't read.
    Hopefully your lawyer can if you take advice from here on the web that doesn't line up with the regs.

"Hacklawyer69 on the Alaska Outdoor Forums said it was okay!!!!" isn't a defense that's going to be worth a darned in court.

How can you tell from a red fillet if it had the tail clipped?

Why would you take cleaned fillets down on the beach for dipnetting?

You can't fit 35 reds in one cooler. So you'll have to have multiple coolers anyway. Leave the sport caught up at the truck.

The limits between sport and dipnet fishery are cumulative. You can catch 3 fish the night before and 3 more during the day of going dipnetting, and still take the entire 25+10 limit for your dipnet permit.

If someone wants to claim that the 6 fillets in your cooler were not sport caught, it is up to them to prove it. This attitude of guilty until proven innocent is a load of krap.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thanks all. The question popped into my head all of a sudden as I just decided what to do this weekend and thought I'd throw out the question before I had a chance to dig through the regs. Last year I was cleaning my dipnet fish back at the campground and was checked by F&G. Just wondering what would have happed if I'd had 3 filleted fish from sport fishing in a cooler along with some fillets from dipnet fish and the total fish I had in possession was 3 over my dipnet limit of 35.

Like JOAT said it is legal.
    Just to be safe you might consider taking a cell phone picture of yourself on the riverbank with your sport caught reds.
    Might make things go a little smoother if checked.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"