Thread: Tailrace Silvers and Reds

Default Tailrace Silvers and Reds

I have noticed on the AOJ that some people have been having luck catching silvers and reds at the tailrace. I have not seen any comments here so I thought I would start one. I am sure I am not the only one who wants to know more. Do the reds come up the tailrace or are people catching them as they pass by the mouth? I have heard the silvers come up the tailrace, are they doing that now or are the ones being caught just fish heading upstream the Knik? I got my limit of Kings on the tailrace and now would like to get more fishing in. Looking to catch a red or silver and let someone else work on their limit of kings. Thanks.
    The secret to fishing is: Fish where the fish are.

I know the silver's run up the tailrace as far as reds I've seen them caught mostly out in the currrent by the cleaning table. It's early for Silvers. The red run is going to be strong so shrimp on the bottom has worked but flossing for reds would be Ur best bet. I'll be out there .

I fished that area and three different spots below on Friday just about all day in my boat and we didn't put any fish in the boat, well except a dollie. I'm not sure who is catching the fish but there isn't much there yet. Probly hit it again soon... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

My big plans fur the weekend got cancelled so Im sittin here in my boat just below the tailrace and there isnt nothing goin on as far as catchin. Im bout to head up to jim creek hefe shortly. Will be on the knik all weekend so ill keep yall updated... "Fishon"

So I ended up with two reds below the tailrace after 8pm last nite then headed up to jim creek fur the nite. Fished till midnite. Didnt catch nuthin. It started rainin shortly there after so i hit the sheets. Got up this am and fished fur and hour still, nuthin. Headed back down to the tailrace which is where im sittin rite now. Well, way way way below the tailrace. Guna try a different spot first. "Fishon"

Way to get out there Bob. At least your trying and giving us updates. Would have tried to get down there but I am stuck with kid for the weekend. Silvers will be here soon!
    The secret to fishing is: Fish where the fish are.

I fished it hard again on saturday in numerous places with one more in the boat, stayed the nite out there and hit it early again sunday mornin. Fished till 10am but didnt catch nuttin. Finally gave up and went fur a ride. Sure is a perty river tho. "Fishon"

Ive seen a few pics on the page I manage on FB of some silvers caught. Mostly on vibrax.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

This hasn't been updated in a while and I haven't been there since July. Anybody got anything good to say about either the tailrace or Jim creek area? Is it worth the gas to head that way or not? I know the water is high, which is usually not to good for fishin but I thought I would ask just the same... "fishon"

I was at the tailrace 3 days ago and tier was still a substantial amount of silvers, most were heavily turned already but their were a few fresh jumpers.