Thread: Lead Sinkers

Default Lead Sinkers

I need to get a bunch of new sinkers, been looking all over the internet for these but I can't find these things, I don't even know what these things are called! Anybody build sinkers like these that wants to sell me some? Can you tell me where to order some?

If not, I need some good ole poured in Alaska pyramids, can you direct me to a seller of sinkers that I can mail order from?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob View Post
    I need to get a bunch of new sinkers, been looking all over the internet for these but I can't find these things, I don't even know what these things are called! Anybody build sinkers like these that wants to sell me some? Can you tell me where to order some?

If not, I need some good ole poured in Alaska pyramids, can you direct me to a seller of sinkers that I can mail order from?
    I have never seen those particular sinkers.
    What is it you are trying to do with them? Or should I say where are you fishing them at?Also what sizes do you need?
    I might have a sinker that works better than those for your particular application. Or I can make pyramid sinkers for you.
    I make and sell sinkers of various styles.
    I make cannonballs, bank sinkers, pyramids, bulldozer sinkers, Hilts Claw sinkers, frog tongue sinkers, Storm sinkers and Bannana mooching sinkers.Might be some others I don't remember off hand.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I am using them with bigger spin-n-glos in heavy current in the Skeena River, a river likely comparable to the Kenai? Seems like a 12 oz holds well, have gone heavier when the river is really high. I am a poor boy, stuck on the bank... actually I'm just too tight to go finance a jet rig, but hope to buy a good used rig this fall for cash!

Anyways, these sinkers hold quite nice on a rocky bottom. Problem last year was that in my limited shore fishing options I ended up in a really good spot, good fish going by, but the bottom was terrible, and I lost lead like I've never imagined could be done. But on the positive side, $75.00 of lead for a bunch of beautiful silver chinooks, I can live with that!

I bought a bunch of lead last year from somebody on here, probably you? I'll probably do the same this year, email me? coyklr@hotmail.com

What else do you make with your tackle business, any spinners?

Wedge Weights
    http://www.gibbsdelta.com/wedge-weight

I think they got started on the Frasier River down on the BC/WA border.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Bob View Post
    I am using them with bigger spin-n-glos in heavy current in the Skeena River, a river likely comparable to the Kenai? Seems like a 12 oz holds well, have gone heavier when the river is really high. I am a poor boy, stuck on the bank... actually I'm just too tight to go finance a jet rig, but hope to buy a good used rig this fall for cash!

Anyways, these sinkers hold quite nice on a rocky bottom. Problem last year was that in my limited shore fishing options I ended up in a really good spot, good fish going by, but the bottom was terrible, and I lost lead like I've never imagined could be done. But on the positive side, $75.00 of lead for a bunch of beautiful silver chinooks, I can live with that!

I bought a bunch of lead last year from somebody on here, probably you? I'll probably do the same this year, email me? coyklr@hotmail.com

What else do you make with your tackle business, any spinners?
    How did those sinkers I sent you last year work out?
    Sorry but I do not make spinners at this time.
    Mostly I focus on saltwater jigs for halibut,rockfish and lingcod.
    But weights are easy enough to make that i bought the molds to make several varities of them as well. Mainly because I wanted to use them myself and because I can.
    Those wedge weights look interesting. The molds to make them would cost me though as they wouls have to be CNC machined molds. They are not a stock mold that a guy can buy off the shelf.

You know, I really liked your lead... they cost significantly less than what the retailers sell lead for! Plus I lost so much lead, it was beyond stupid!!! Like throw in four rods for the family and me and when we checked them for weeds etc, put on some new lead. Get a bite, put on some new lead.

So the action on the spot was quite good though, I am going to spend some time there again while I fantasize about buying a nice aluminum boat with a 60 or 90 horse jet on the back. And I will donate a bunch of lead, so I need quantity, and your prices were quite fair. Honestly, I think I lost all that lead you sent me, and I lost everything else I had. $75.00 would have been very conservative, especially with the Canadian prices. Why do I go back? cuz I am a nut!!! and I am stuck on the bank and have very limited options in where to fish. I am going late in the chinook run so I do not have the whole river to fish, has to be done below a certain trib where the big ones are running.

The frog tongues slid into the cracks and stuck, I liked them very much, I think they would be the sinker to have on a normal bottom. I don't recall how often I was able to retrieve them on a cast compared to others. Truly nothing got a fair test cuz the bottom was so ignorant! Well... nasty.

I need more lead, want to pour me a bunch more? I'd take a bunch of pyramids and frog tongues in 10 and 12 oz size. How many fit into those cute little mail shipping boxes? email me prices and what fits in a box and shipping, and how to pay? coyklr@hotmail.com

Just a thought for you before you go ordering a bunch of sinkers. Have you considered casting your own sinkers?
    If you really like the Wedge sinkers I can give you the info of a couple of guys who can make a mold for you to pour your own. It won't be cheap but after the initial cost you might save a bunch. A $200-$300 mold and then all you have is the cost of lead and sinker eyes.
    If you are indeed using $75 a trip or more in sinkers it might be worthwile.
    Or you can buy stock molds for Pyramid sinkers for a bit cheaper.
    I don't know what you can buy lead for in your area but if you find some scrap at a decent price it could certainly pay off.
    Plus if you run out you just make more rather than ordering them and waiting.
    An old camp stove would work fine for heating and then you just need a ladle and small pot. Eyes can be purchased at many retailers for a decent price.
    Check out Hilts molds for the Pyramid sinker molds you might want.
    http://www.hiltsmolds.com/SinkerMolds.htm

For less than 12 oz sinkers Do-It makes molds for those and they are cheaper.
    Heres where I buy some of my Stock molds from.
    http://www.barlowstackle.com/Do-It-P...olds-P317.aspx

Every year I mean to buy sinker molds and every year I forget. Now Im not sure how much time I am left with.

Wedges, I like them very much. Its like when you reel in, one big motion with your rod and they come off the bottom and then they "float" or flutter along as you reel in due to the resistance of the wide surface. The other sinkers take quite an effort to keep them moving so they don't get stuck in the rocks as you reel them in.

Perhaps it's an opportunity in AK to be the only guy with wedge sinkers for sale? How many guys are using the big sinkers? How do most people fish for chinook in AK?