Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silvers out of Whittier - (Main Bay) starting to show, Main Bay

Default Silvers out of Whittier - (Main Bay) starting to show, Main Bay

Fished this weekend at Main Bay and caught 3 pinks, 1 silver and 1 King. We where hoping to hook into a few pinks and maybe an early silver and got a nice size silver!! Then, we really didn't expect a King, but hooked into a nice king. Cut the king open to fillet, and it was a white king to boot. SO, excited to see a silver in the mix!! It's starting up!!

Hey that is awesome! In another couple of weeks the North side Perry Island should be pretty dang good.

Small pic.. but you can see the two small pinks, the 1 silver and 1 king.

Attachment 79511

Thanks for the update. That's good news!
    "Miss Mary"
    Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's

Woo woo, be out there in 9-10 days to see what I can find.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks for the report!

Be careful trolling in close, like off the ends of the set nets, from Main Bay up to Foul Bay quite a few big rocks just a little ways underwater along that stretch.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Appreciate the update, exactly what I was browsing for.
    Curious, did you fish up in the bay or outside.
    Iíll be out that way Sunday through Tuesday, would love to hookup a Silver or two.
    Still in search of the allusive PWS King but then Iím a rooky with the down riggers have always used divers with luck on Silvers, pinks and dogs.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Appreciate the update, exactly what I was browsing for.
    Curious, did you fish up in the bay or outside.
    Iíll be out that way Sunday through Tuesday, would love to hookup a Silver or two.
    Still in search of the allusive PWS King but then Iím a rooky with the down riggers have always used divers with luck on Silvers, pinks and dogs.
    Jay this time of year i always caught silvers from MB south to Granite Point, best seemed to be outside of falls bay down to eshamy. Their are a bunch of small runs of wild silvers down there, always knew when they would hit the net from all the scales in the water ! The narrow spot between the mainland & crafton was usually good. Be careful of the rockpiles on the crafton side down to eshamy.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

The few kings we have caught have always been when we were fishing for silvers. They have not been huge kings... And sometimes if you didn't know, the king would look like a large silver. The last king we caught was at 60 feet.. But I wouldn't say that's the magic number as it seems the fish range all the time. Think I heard somebody once say they may hang out right under a thermal line sometimes .. And that changes. Heading out this morning. Good luck to you all and calm seas to everyone!
    Last edited by Emu; 07-12-2014 at 08:10. Reason: auto type of phone messed up

Fished off Falls bay Monday and picked up 6 fat Coho fairly quickly. Hooked a pink at 25 so dropped one down to 50 and the other to 100, both hooked up at about the same time. Lost 3 or 4, one ran under the boat and snapped 50lb line. Lots of fun probably do it again this weekend.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Help me out breau. What is Falls close to?

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    Help me out breau. What is Falls close to?
    It's between Main Bay and Eshamy.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Fished off Falls bay Monday and picked up 6 fat Coho fairly quickly. Hooked a pink at 25 so dropped one down to 50 and the other to 100, both hooked up at about the same time. Lost 3 or 4, one ran under the boat and snapped 50lb line. Lots of fun probably do it again this weekend.
    breausaw, were you trolling or mooching? I was out at Falls Bay yesterday trying to fish it for the first time. I trolled, but struggled a bit with all the hazards in the area. Caught one Pink. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!
    "Miss Mary"

I was tolling around 50 to 70 feet off the mouth in about 500 to 1200ft of water. There were Bowpickers and set netters working close in so chose to stay well clear of that clutter. Got comparable hookups with Brads and Coyote lures behind Pink and cop car flashers; luck of the draw perhaps.

Hope this helps,,

Haha, go figure. The commercial guys weren't active so I was able to get in a bit closer in places, but it didn't do me any good. Thanks for the feedback. Either the fish had moved on, or I'm a rotten fisherman! We might head back again on Saturday and give it another try.
    "Miss Mary"

Just got back today and picked up 5 silvers off of Main Bay. 80-90 ft, mostly on herring rigged in a FBR and one on a brads. Seemed like the top of the tide was the best time. Trolled a few hours today and it got real slow after the high.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Was out this weekend. It was pretty slow still, but 4 silvers caught in 2 days. 1 by Eshamy, 2 by Main Bay and 1 North/East side of Culross (Just to the right of the passage). SO, they are moving up for sure.

You know, I'm pretty good telling which ones are the silvers and pinks... but when it's a small silver I'm not sure if it's a chum or what? What do you guys think? Might be hard to tell as some of the scales are off after being in the fish hold. Pupil looks the same as the silvers. HEY, I don't want anyone telling me that are all chums!
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...chmentid=79739

Attachment 79736

A good way to tell cohos from chums besides the pupil size is that cohos have a black mouth with white gum lines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast