Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Dots on hunting handguns?

Default Red Dots on hunting handguns?

Is anyone using them out there for their hunting handguns?

As much as I'm not willing to admit it...my eyes ain't what they used to be and I'm pretty happy with my EO Techs on AR's and a couple red dots on .22 pistols. I'm thinking of their utility on a Ruger .45 LC.

Any thoughts?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I use Ultradots on a number of my hunting revolvers. Reasonably priced, lifetime warranty, and tough as nails.

For those with older eyes, the red dot systems are about as good as it gets on a hunting handgun. They are fast to use and more than accurate enough for hunting.

I think its cool. Have one on one of my ARs. Had a 4x scope on a BFR that did ok from a bench, I just don't have the wrists to make it work from the field positions.

If I hadn't had all that pain in my wrists I would have switched to a red dot. Go for it. Wish I had tried handgun hunting when I was a bit younger.

Shot a glock 19 with a Trijicon RMR red dot on it. Wasn't my cup of tea, but it was pretty accurate. With the small dot version and the right model of pistol, I'm sure it's good to 100+ yards.

I didn't like the red dot because it let me see how unsteady I was, which I think made me shoot worse. As in, I think the dot basically psyched me out.

Don't have the same problem with dot on rifle.

I think for $180.00 the ultradot 30 is the wises money spent

http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubb...e/9#Post137422
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

My only hunting experience with a red dot on a handgun has been for rabbit and squirrels with a 22 pistol. They're quick and accurate if the dot is small enought and you turn the brightness down. Just like at the range I keep mine barely visible and shoot better that way. Buy the smallest moa dot you can and practice you will be just fine, remember to keep an extra battery with you.

Yes. For white tails in Illinois

In my opinion, they're the best there is for first and last lighting(wnen most game is seen).
    Steve

OK...you guys talked me into it. I'm looking at the new 28mm HD for $20 MORE. I think I like the 2 MOA dot and the upgraded circutry. I suppose I need a new holster too and I'll need to drill and tap the Blackhawk top strap and see if the #8 screws will hold up to my 320 gr loads in the .45LC... they hurt me enough as it is so maybe the extra little bit of weight will help. They are out of stock at Midway so I'll need to wait a bit.

Thanks for the comments and encourgement!!
    Ultra Dot HD Micro Red Dot Sight 28mm Tube 1x 2 MOA Dot with Integral Weaver-Style Base Matte)

Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Mine is the 4 Dot, 30MM. I'd check around, there are some very good no drill mounts out there? Try Weigand's?
    Steve

Thanks Brother Steve!

At least at Midway, the Weigand look like they are all drill and tap which is OK for me. I know it will decrease the value of the gun but I'm not concerned at about that. When I check out my kids will get the guns so it really doesn't matter.

Looks like the Ultra Dots are very well thought of everywhere so how can I go wrong. Now if Midway would get them in stock...

Try Weigand's website? You might have to remove your rear sight but, someone makes something you won't have to drill? I've got a Weigand no drill on my Redhawk and it's as solid as a rock.
    Steve

Steve,

Maybe I'm blind, but this is all I can find on their site and that's OK because I can do it with no problem:

Scope mount Redhawk/Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk and GP-100

Drill & Tap- Remove the Ruger rear sight and drill and tap the top strap for just two 6-48 screws then install
    this ultra strong scope mount that will stand up to the magnum revolvers from Ruger. We have an extensive
    history with this scope mount dating back to 1994. We have sold thousands with rock solid results even on
    the big bore monsters.
    Accepts all Weaver and most Picatinny style rings and accessories. 4-1/2" long, available in black or silver, matte anodized
    finish, weighs 1.3 ounces.

The do show a no drill for your Redhawk:

Now you no longer have to drill and tap your Ruger Redhawk to install a rock solid scope mount.

Interestingly, I have an Ultra Dot on my Buckmark and didn't recall buying it. I do like it and it is very accurate on that gun and is death for bunnies and spruce chickens using subsonics.

Yes, probably it. Redhawks(5&1/2") have dovetailed front sight that comes off easy.
    Steve

Another satisfied Ultradot user. Mine is the 4 dot 30mm & it's on my 480 Super Redhawk on a Weigand base. Mine is around 10 yrs old & never a hiccup.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

IMG_0335.JPG IMG_1328.JPG

No doubt the Ultradot is one fine red dot scope, however, there are other options that are much lighter, smaller and just as robust as the Ultradot. The reflex/holographic red dots have come a long way in the past couple of years relative to strength - meaning the ability to absorb recoil and maintain POA/POI and stay together.

I think for the money Burris is good and if you like 3 to 5 years on one battery then the Aimpoint Macro is there for you and if you want a 7.5 MOA delta for quickness and using the tip as a fine aiming point then the Leupold Deltapoint is a good one. The Leupold and Aimpoints cost more but they will last a lifetime or until something better comes along.

The taller/higher the mount the more difficult it will be toget a quick sight picture, so a lot of practice will be in order unless you just target shoot or have some sort of rest in a tree stand - then speed may not be a requirement for you. The two pictures show the height difference between a dedicated SW mount and the Weigand mount - the difference means speed on target.

Ultradot has small holographic sights as well, like the LT. As far as light weight is concerned, even the Ultradot 30 only weighs 4 oz, so there isn't much of a weight penalty no matter which one you choose. Here is the LT on my BFR -- yes, the base is bulky, but the sight isn't.

Make sure you can legally use a RED DOT sight on a hunting firearm before you make a major investment. Many states prohibit the use of lighted or light emitting sights.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Make sure you can legally use a RED DOT sight on a hunting firearm before you make a major investment. Many states prohibit the use of lighted or light emitting sights.
    I've not run into this but, many state prohibit projecting a red dot on game(legal term, SHINING)? Not the case here.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    I've not run into this but, many state prohibit projecting a red dot on game(legal term, SHINING)? Not the case here.
    Steve
    Nor have I. They don't project like a laser, so I don't see the issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast