Thread: Kenai dipnetting opener

Default Kenai dipnetting opener

So any thoughts on how the run is going to be this year, and who plans on going this year.

Yesterday's 30 year average (1983-2013) escapement is 6371. Yesterday's actual escapement was 29,490.

Default Early...

Cumulative escapement is 4-5 days earlier than the last few years...daily high about a week early.

Is that 29k number the beginning of the second run?? I never can keep track ..

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Default Fish count

The last 2 years they have been using a new fish counting system which is supposed to be more accurate, and the numbers are now a lot higher.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDAVE8 View Post
    The last 2 years they have been using a new fish counting system which is supposed to be more accurate, and the numbers are now a lot higher.
    True 'nuff, but last year's count on this date was 4872.

I for one will be more than happy to sit out the Circus this year on the Kenai.
    I don't care how many reds there are on opening day I will be sitting out.
    I just can't put my self and my family through that anymore. Especially when people back into the boat I am running because they are not paying attention or bump into me on the way downstream because they are trying to dipnet and run the boat at the same time it is rediculous.
    And I am not convinced my family needs to be on the beach with all those crazy people either.
    We have other means at our disposal to get our fish and I for one am going to use those other means.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Cumulative Kenai escapement as of today 109,854 as compared to 56,677 last year.

I'm getting excited to go,I usually fish out of my boat but shipped it down to Sitka this year to fish out of. Kings down their have been real good, and of course the rock fishing.
    So this will be my first time from the beach as Kasilofchrisn said, "lots of crazy people" so I guess we will see how it goes.
    If their is any one with a open seat let me know and I would gladly pay for launch fee and gas, ether way though I will be going down thanks Gr8fl for those Escapement numbers.

...STRONG STORM MOVING INTO SOUTHCENTRAL ALASKA LATER THIS WEEK...

A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP SOUTH OF KODIAK ISLAND BY THURSDAY MORNING. RAIN WILL SPREAD FROM SOUTH TO NORTH ON WEDNESDAY NIGHT AND THURSDAY MORNING AND WILL LIKELY CONTINUE THROUGH MOST OF THE DAY FRIDAY. THE VAST MAJORITY OF THE HEAVY RAIN WILL FALL ALONG THE COASTLINE OF WESTERN PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND AND THE EASTERN KENAI PENINSULA. HOWEVER...THIS STORM IS DRAWING SIGNIFICANT MOISTURE FROM THE SUBTROPICS AND THIS IS EXPECTED TO RESULT IN LIGHT RAIN EVEN FOR AREAS THAT OFTEN SEE TOTALLY DRY CONDITIONS DUE TO DOWNSLOPING. IN ADDITION TO THE RAINFALL...A STRONG WEATHER FRONT WILL BRING VERY STRONG WINDS INTO PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND...WHITTIER...PORTAGE...AND EASTERN TURNAGAIN ARM FOR THE LATTER HALF OF THE WEEK AND POSSIBLY CONTINUING INTO THE START OF THE WEEKEND. THOSE RECREATING OR TRAVELING THROUGH THESE AREAS ARE ENCOURAGED TO CLOSELY MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS AS THIS STORM TAKES SHAPE OVER THE FOLLOWING DAYS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Just thinking...

Combination of high tides, 5 foot seas, and 20kt NE winds could make for some interesting times on Kenai Beach.

COOK INLET NORTH OF KALGIN ISLAND-
    335 PM AKDT TUE JUL 8 2014
    .TONIGHT...SW WIND 20 KT. SEAS 5 FT.
    .WED...SW WIND 10 KT INCREASING TO 15 KT IN THE AFTERNOON.
    SEAS BUILDING TO 4 FT.
    .WED NIGHT...SW WIND 15 KT BECOMING N 10 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT.
    SEAS 3 FT. RAIN.
    .THU THROUGH FRI...NE WIND 20 KT. SEAS 5 FT.
    .SAT THROUGH SUN...SE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.

So what youre saying is buy some extra poles and wear the wet suit?

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Combination of high tides, 5 foot seas, and 20kt NE winds could make for some interesting times on Kenai Beach.

COOK INLET NORTH OF KALGIN ISLAND-
    335 PM AKDT TUE JUL 8 2014
    .TONIGHT...SW WIND 20 KT. SEAS 5 FT.
    .WED...SW WIND 10 KT INCREASING TO 15 KT IN THE AFTERNOON.
    SEAS BUILDING TO 4 FT.
    .WED NIGHT...SW WIND 15 KT BECOMING N 10 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT.
    SEAS 3 FT. RAIN.
    .THU THROUGH FRI...NE WIND 20 KT. SEAS 5 FT.
    .SAT THROUGH SUN...SE WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    Just a note of caution. When the winds blow strong from the north fish usually do not move to the Kenai. Therefore, if the winds stay from the north this weekend may not be very good dip netting. However, if they switch to the southwest then fish tend to be pushed on the beach. I suspect this year may be like last year and fish come mid-week in good numbers and not on a weekend. If I was going to make one trip down to the Kenai it would not be this weekend but wait until next weekend when fishing conditions and movement have a higher probability of success. If I am a local resident I would watch the river mouth closely and if lots of fish start jumping in the mouth it is time to go fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    Just a note of caution. When the winds blow strong from the north fish usually do not move to the Kenai. Therefore, if the winds stay from the north this weekend may not be very good dip netting. However, if they switch to the southwest then fish tend to be pushed on the beach. I suspect this year may be like last year and fish come mid-week in good numbers and not on a weekend. If I was going to make one trip down to the Kenai it would not be this weekend but wait until next weekend when fishing conditions and movement have a higher probability of success. If I am a local resident I would watch the river mouth closely and if lots of fish start jumping in the mouth it is time to go fishing.
    Just curious, but where does that info come from about their movement in correlation to wind direction? I ask because Friday (tomorrow) is basically the only chance I have to go in the next two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Burntfrog View Post
    Just curious, but where does that info come from about their movement in correlation to wind direction? I ask because Friday (tomorrow) is basically the only chance I have to go in the next two weeks.
    So go and fish regardless of the weather affecting fish statements. Pay attention to the weather for your safety and act accordingly. It is called fishing not catching is the old phrase but really, catching is just a bonus. Sometimes it is better odds than others but they are wild animals and no matter how much they are studied no one ever really knows how each individual fish is going to specifically behave. Go, get your net in the water, hope to get your limit. If you do great, if not at least you had a better chance than you would have had if you stayed home.

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    It is called fishing not catching
    No, it's called "dip netteing".......not fishing.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

It is raining pretty decently, today. I haven't been down there, but I heard it's not really crowded and no wait times to speak of to get on the water.