Thread: wood fired hot tubs

Default wood fired hot tubs

I'm curious if anyone in the interior is keeping one going through the winter? Is a stock tank heater enough to keep it from freezing? Or is draining the most used method? I'd prefer not to drain.

I'm debaiting woodfired hot tub or a sauna/steam shack.

The Sauna/Steam shack would be far less problems .

That's kind of what I was thinking. My buddy made a pretty sweet setup in Palmer years ago I thought about doing..but man a hot tub in winter is awesome! I was hoping a tank heater would be enough to keep them from freezing between use.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    I'm curious if anyone in the interior is keeping one going through the winter? Is a stock tank heater enough to keep it from freezing? Or is draining the most used method? I'd prefer not to drain.

I'm debaiting woodfired hot tub or a sauna/steam shack.
    "Keep one going through the winter"? Man, the winter is the ONLY time to use it! We always drained ours in the summer, used it all winter. 2 to 3 cords of spruce will take you through an entire winter at 3 to 5 soakings per week.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

are you refilling every time? Or how are you keeping it from freezing? I cant handle that kind of heat in the summer, its the reason I don't live in the south LOL!

What do you have for a tub etc? did you build or buy?

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    are you refilling every time?
    Heck no! Fresh water and a cleaning once a month or so...
    Or how are you keeping it from freezing?
    We kept it from freezing by using it regularly.
    What do you have for a tub etc? did you build or buy?
    http://snorkel.com/about.php
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

What about an old military type immersion heater used to heat water. Its the kind that drips fuel one drop at a time
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Default My new tub

I just put mine together at the cabin, the kit was very easy to assemble. It went together nice and tight, so I didn't caulk the bottom seam around the floor. I was unable to get to fill past 1/3 but only had about eight hours to feed it water. I will be back trying to get it to seal up this week. Heat would help alot to get it to swell.
    P1030854.jpgP1030857.jpg

Don't try to fill it right away put a sprinkler in the middle of the tub that sprays all the way around, that way you can keep it wet with a lot less water .

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Don't try to fill it right away put a sprinkler in the middle of the tub that sprays all the way around, that way you can keep it wet with a lot less water .
    +1. That's exactly what we did....and still it seemed like it would never hold water. We gave up and went camping for the weekend, and when we came home we found it had rained and the tub was good to go.
    #Resist