Thread: Battery warranty issue

Default Battery warranty issue

OK so about a month ago I noticed that the battery in my 2007 sportsman couldn't turn over the engine. It had been about 3 months since I charged it last so I thought I just needed to just charge it up. Well all was well for a few weeks. I then tried to start the machine and there was absolutely no power from the battery at all so I charged it up again and intended to go and purchase a new battery after the 4th.

I remembered when I purchased this battery that it had a 2 year free replacement warranty so I located the receipt. I purchased it on July 7th 2012 from a local battery place here in anchorage that also sells light bulbs (I think you can figure it out). Well I take the battery into the store and the kid behind the counter checks it out. I tell him that after some time (appears about 12hrs)the battery looses its charge and I would like a replacement. He hooks up his tester and says that the battery only has 5 volts in it and that the store couldn't warranty it because it wasn't over 10 volts. Needless top say I was not impressed as the only reason I came into the store was due to a battery that would not hold a charge. The kid told me it was my fault the battery failed and that my warranty was no good. I will be talking it over with the manager tomorrow needless to say.

So am I missing something here? If not then I would avoid this place as they seem to be trying their hardest to avoid standing behind their product. As well the brochure that the kid says they provide with every atv battery says nothing about this 10volt cut off for warranty and his buddy behind the counter had to go and find an auto battery brochure that stated the 10volt issue. So you better charge up your dead battery before taking it in for warranty or maybe take it back before it fails in the event that it fails and they can verify it was OK before it failed. I will be asking the manager if it is necessary to bring the battery into the store every 3 months so they can verify the condition as to not void the warranty on the battery as well.
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

They swapped a ATV battery out for me no problem. I was surprised because I didn't have a receipt, but they looked up my purchase in their system and warrantied the battery, no questions asked. I hope you have better luck with the manager, keep us informed.

Went back and talked to the manager and got no where either. After a long discussion and the manager continually repeating to me that the reason that the battery failed was due to my machine having an excessive draw (funny as the battery is almost 2 years old and never gave me an issue and I have changed nothing on my machine from the day I installed the battery). They are stuck on the fact that the battery I brought back only had 5 volts in it. I guess you should charge a battery that won't hold a charge for 12hrs before you bring it back to the store for warranty and I am the only person out there that has brought in a dead battery for replacement under the manufacturers warranty. I've never heard of such a thing. The manager stated he will only honor the warranty if I bring them my machine and they verify that there is no excessive draw on it. That's not going to happen though as I am not going to let them get near my machine. I've tested it myself and found nothing out of the norm and if I need someone to verify my testing then the machine will go to a trained professional and not a battery store employee. My wife filed a BBB complaint and we shall see where that will go. The warranty on the battery has now expired anyway. I got 4 years out of the Interstate that was in the machine when I got it and that battery was run down pretty bad as the machine had sat for months with a dead battery before I bought it. After a long charge that thing worked great until it died just about the same way this battery failed as it was fine until one day it just couldn't turn the machine over one day an never came back. I think I'll go see the folks at Interstate again.

Chinese proverb

Buy an Odyssey and forget about it, have one in my atv and it's 9 years old and working great.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I have had 'mixed' results getting batteries replaced under warranty. One time no problem and then the next a bunch of BS. One thing I have learned though is that some of the newer machines have a consent draw on the electrical system and need to have a way to keep them charged. Hence I have installed a battery tender on our 2013 Prowler.
    I do not why, bit it seems that the ATV batteries are not built to the same standards as vehicle batteries. The batteries in our vehicle really take a beating, and we seldom have an issue with them. However the smaller ones always seems to need 'attention'.
    I also agree, and have good success with Interstate batteries.

Well the fine folks at the battery and bulb store failed to respond to the BBB's request. End of story......

Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    One thing I have learned though is that some of the newer machines have a consent draw on the electrical system and need to have a way to keep them charged. Hence I have installed a battery tender on our 2013 Prowler.
    I do not why, bit it seems that the ATV batteries are not built to the same standards as vehicle batteries. The batteries in our vehicle really take a beating, and we seldom have an issue with them. However the smaller ones always seems to need 'attention'.
    I also agree, and have good success with Interstate batteries.

You are correct car batteries are made to a difference standard.
    Car batteries are lead acid starting batteries; atv's use AGM deep cycle batteries. In a car the batteries is used to start the car and recharged, not so with most atv's. Not keeping a batteries at 100% charge will reduce the life of any battery.

The reason a atv battery don't last as long is the fault of the atv manufacture and the owner
    by not maintaining the battery. If I had a oil leak and the vehicle ran out of oil who do I blame for the engine seizing up. The manufacture of the oil, engine, or vehicle?

Before 1970 you could leave a car park for most of a year and not have to charge the battery not so any more, you lucky to not have a dead battery after a week of sitting and it not the fault of the battery but the car manufacture draining the life out of the batteries, and that also apply to some atv.

The point I'm trying to make is instead of blaming the battery find out what is causing the problem and fix it. IMO