Thread: Older Bushnell Banner BL 4-12x40, need help?

Default Older Bushnell Banner BL 4-12x40, need help?

This scope is on a 300 mag rifle I just purchased and I need help with how to use it? Anybody familiar with it?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by otterbfishin View Post
    This scope is on a 300 mag rifle I just purchased and I need help with how to use it? Anybody familiar with it?
    It probably works like most rifle scopes. Does it have some special features, that are unclear?

You could visit the Bushnell Website, and try and find a manual. Or, possibly send them an email.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty,
    Yes it has some additional features:
    *Besides the 4-12 zoom at the eyepiece it has a calibrated objective end ranging from 50 feet to 1000 yards.
    *The elevation knob on top is knurled, rotates by hand and has a small window facing the eyepiece that is calibrated from 100 yards to 500 yards. the knob also has a screw driver slot on top like most scopes for elevation adjustment.
    *It has a duplex cross hairs, but has an additional horizontal line slightly above the regular horizontal cross hair line, and has a small dot centered inbetween them.
    *Lastly it has a small window inside the top of the view through the scope that is calibrated from 200 to 600 with the numbers increasing as you rotate the zoom at the eyepiece.
    I have gone on online but have been unsuccessful in obtaining a manual. I have a feeling that the scope is old, although it is in excellent condition. The "Bushnell Banner Model 4-12X40 (has the letters BL in a circle under the model number) does not seem to come up anywhere?

Smitty,
    *Besides the 4-12 zoom at the eyepiece it has a calibrated objective end ranging from 50 feet to 1000 yards.
    *The elevation knob on top is knurled, rotates by hand and has a small window facing the eyepiece that is calibrated from 100 yards to 500 yards. the knob also has a screw driver slot on top like most scopes for elevation adjustment.
    *It has a duplex cross hairs, but has an additional horizontal line slightly above the regular horizontal cross hair line, and has a small dot centered inbetween them.
    *Lastly it has a small window inside the top of the view through the scope that is calibrated from 200 to 600 with the numbers increasing as you rotate the zoom at the eyepiece.
    I have gone on online but have been unsuccessful in obtaining a manual. I have a feeling that the scope is old, although it is in excellent condition. The "Bushnell Banner Model 4-12X40 (has the letters BL in a circle under the model number) does not seem to come up anywhere?
    I'm sorry. We are in the same boat, but you seem to know more than I do about it.

I wondered, because, that sounds very much like my Bushnell Scope Chief. It has some, but not all of the stuff you have on your scope, mine is a 3X9, and has no AO.

I was unable to find a manual on Bushnell's Website, but I've been thinking maybe I should email them. Or, call them. One time, not too long ago, Andy told me how it worked, and it made sense, but I really didn't understand.

I used it on a couple, three rifles and it has worked fine, I just didn't/don't understand the rangefinding and range adjusting features. If I can ever figure them out I'll letcha know.

Thanks
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Default Rangefinding/Drop Compensator Bushnell

Smitty,
    BL=Bausch and Lomb

I have a fixed 10X Bushnell Silhouette Scope from the early 70's. It has the drop compensator but not the rangefinding reticle.
    There is a calibrated dial in the vertical turret . When new it would have come with 3 or 4 dials to match different ballistics.

The reticle works by placing a game animal,usually a deer, between the two horizontal lines and then reading the distance. Dial the distance on the turret and you should be dead on with no hold-over.

one off eBay:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/181454877630?cmd=VIDESC

Smitty,
    Do you know how to e-mail them? I could not find an e-mail address for them, or any tech help numbers?

So does the "BL" in the small circle beneathe the model number mean the scope was made by Bausch & Lomb?

Quote Originally Posted by fkroosher View Post
    BL=Bausch and Lomb

I have a fixed 10X Bushnell Silhouette Scope from the early 70's. It has the drop compensator but not the rangefinding reticle.
    There is a calibrated dial in the vertical turret . When new it would have come with 3 or 4 dials to match different ballistics.

The reticle works by placing a game animal,usually a deer, between the two horizontal lines and then reading the distance. Dial the distance on the turret and you should be dead on with no hold-over.

one off eBay:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/181454877630?cmd=VIDESC
    That is good information. Drop compensator is a new term to me; I understand that it means that the calibrations on the turret can be turned to compensate for the bullet drop at a given range. That the scope has range finding capabilities is great, but now to get the details on how exactly to use them? I need instruction...a manual or hands on.

So does the "BL" in the small circle beneathe the model number mean the scope was made by Bausch & Lomb?
    At the time your scope was manuf., Bushnell was a division of Bausch and Lomb.

To start you might try opening the vertical turret with a standard screwdriver. The dial will be marked 1,2,3 etc. I might be able to help if you can give me this number.

Smitty,
    Do you know how to e-mail them? I could not find an e-mail address for them, or any tech help numbers?
    Go to their website, www.bushnell.com Then "Service and Support" Then " Contact Us". You will find contact numbers, etc. and a form to fill out for leaving a message.

I've not done that, YET. So far I've only explored other avenues. I've downloaded manuals that were generic and didn't apply.

I'll get back to it onna dese days.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

fkroosher,
    The numbers on the rotating turret dial are 100, 200, 250, 300, 350, 400, 450, 500, IC. Inside the turret is the typical UP - Down screw slot.

I guess I am really surprised that no one on this Forum knows anything about this scope?? No luck e-mailing Bushnell for help. Whats next??

I did some looking around this morning and found the thread below to have a decent general explanation for a Banner scope.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/optics-...r-bullet-drop/

Here is a link to a manual for the original Banner scope with replacable bullet drop dials for specific factory loads. To find other product manuals you need to go down to the very bottom of the main Bushnell page and note the link in the gray area way to the right of the screen. There does not seem to be a lot of older products listed. I don't think they have older dials for the various loads. You are probably going to have to spend time on the range to figure out what dial system you have on the scope now and how to obtain the most from that feature. Hopefully the seller provided additional dials, but it does not sound like it.

http://www.bushnell.com/getmedia/6a3...l.pdf?ext=.pdf

The issue for us up here is that the stadia line above the cross hair is for ranging a whitetail deer, or half a moose. So maybe placing the stadia line at the top of the moose's back and then adjust so that the cross hair is at the mid point will provide an approximate distance for the dials to be spun to the right amount of bullet drop.

Otter, looking forward to some time in the marsh with you. My left arm is doing well and I should be able to tollerate some recoil to repell the wigeon attack. They almost took us out last time, and I don't want that to happen again.

Thanks for the research on the Bushnell. However I've decided that it's not worth messing with and I Purchased a Nicon M3 4-12x40 for the Weatherby. Got it sighted in at 200 yards today, sore shoulder but tight groups...Happy, Happy, Happy. You going to harvest a caribou again this year?

Looking forward to cupped wings and tasty dinners!

You going to harvest a caribou again this year?

I hope to. Last years plan worked out well, but no legal caribou came through the spot. This year should be different since there was no spring flooding.

Thanks for the research on the Bushnell. However I've decided that it's not worth messing with and I Purchased a Nicon M3 4-12x40 for the Weatherby. Got it sighted in at 200 yards today, sore shoulder but tight groups...Happy, Happy, Happy. You going to harvest a caribou again this year?

I use the one I have. It works just fine on my 7mm Rem. Mag.

I don't hafta understand or use all the features.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.