Thread: Camp at Waddell Lake ransacked by bears

Default Camp at Waddell Lake ransacked by bears

I was attempting to find an old thread on this site about a couple who moved out to Waddell lake to live off the land. Their camp appears abandoned. Should we be concerned over their whereabouts? Anyone remember these folks?

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

If that is the thread in question, the OP's profile shows they where on here just a week ago.......

Sounds like another case of Discovery Channel meets REALITY. Shame to hear they trashed the place during their stay....But not surprising..
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Thats the one. Anyone heard from them? Last I heard, they were cabin-hopping around the lake. Goldi-locks. Ironic. "This bed is too hard..."

Default Negative people without a clue

Quote Originally Posted by elgoatropo View Post
    I was attempting to find an old thread on this site about a couple who moved out to Waddell lake to live off the land. Their camp appears abandoned. Should we be concerned over their whereabouts? Anyone remember these folks?

Thank you for your concern. I just came across this post. We have not abandoned our camp. We just about finished our cabin. We will be returning shortly. We did stay in a trapper cabin while we were building. The trappers friend told us we were welcome to stay there. We left them with some supplies....gas, etc...to thank them. When we returned the first time, bears did get into some of our stuff. We cleaned that all up. When we get back this time, we will also clean up all our stuff.

The mistake we made was actually bringing too many supplies before we had a place to store them away. Now that the cabin is up, it should be much easier to keep things away from the wildlife.

We met some really nice people that have a cabin on the lake. They said the same thing happened to them many times with bears even puncturing their gas cans, etc...

We learned alot and will learn alot more as we are there. At first we wanted to just stay there, but we realized even with all we brought there were other things we needed. Like a lifetime supply of chains for the chainsaw...lol (because 10 is 9 and 9 is 8 and 8 is 7....etc....2 is 1 and 1 is none...

We really liked the people that we met in Alaska. They have the same attitude about life that we feel is very important. To be free and independant, and to be able to take care of yourself without someone else governing you.

We feel that our cabin is the best place on earth. We will not trash the place, as someone on here said. If some animals got into our stuff while we are gone this time we will clean it up. Now that our cabin is up, we will be staying when we get back.

We appreciate staying in the cabin across the lake. If someone were to need shelter , we would have no problem with them staying in our cabin. Someone told me that's how Alaskan's are. That's how we want to be.

Oh, and btw...elgoatropo.....That's Goldiphlox....Thank you very much

So where are u now? It appears U have Internet, eh?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by goldiphlox View Post
    Oh, and btw...elgoatropo.....That's Goldiphlox....Thank you very much
    So, you have two profile names, and you started a thread asking about yourself?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    So, you have two profile names, and you started a thread asking about yourself?
    huh?

Quote Originally Posted by goldiphlox View Post
    huh?

Where are are you? How bout update on your experience?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

[QUOTE=goldiphlox;1462663....the same thing happened to them many times with bears even puncturing their gas cans, etc...
    [/QUOTE]

Bears love gas. Leave it out and they will do this every time. Sadly you are training the bears to get into every stash they come across, and likely creating problems for others in the area. You need to keep ALL your stuff away from critters. I've had to kill bears that learned there was good things to be had in cabins when the owners weren't good about keeping a clean camp.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

From the looks of your numbers on chains that you went through that sounds like a lot of chains.You would do better to start with new GOOD chains and take out all of the items to maintain your saws and chains.A way to properly sharpen them.
    You will need a strong secure storage area along with several different ways to detere the bears. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    From the looks of your numbers on chains that you went through that sounds like a lot of chains.You would do better to start with new GOOD chains and take out all of the items to maintain your saws and chains.A way to properly sharpen them.
    You will need a strong secure storage area along with several different ways to detere the bears. Good Luck
    Thats what I was thinking..... He must know they can be sharpened???!

The #1 key to maintaining chains, don't drive them into the dirt! You should be able to cut an unbelievable amount of wood with 10 loops of chain if all your cutting is wood. But drive those loops into the dirt, and you'll be done in less than a day.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.