Thread: Any of you slope guys know anything about Aronal Fuel additives ??

Default Any of you slope guys know anything about Aronal Fuel additives ??

Have heard some good things about this additive for diesel fuel. They also make something for gas engines. Website mentions its used on the slope ?? anybody ever heard of it ??
    http://www.aronol.com/

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Never heard of it Steve. We typically dont add additives unless we have some gelling, and then use Diesel 911.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Thanks for the reply, here's what they say on their website
    "aronol diesel fuel additives were developed in the early 1970's for contractors building the Alaskan Pipeline. Today, from Canada to Palmer Station in Antarctica, aronol keeps diesel equipment operating in the coldest of temperatures. Constantly updated, aronol continues to be the choice of all companies, truck fleets, farm equipment and industry, operating diesel equipment. The combination of unsurpassed performance and low treatment rates provides the most cost effective means to improve winter performance of arctic aronol f.i., the cost saving benefits of aronol powerize or the single product convenience of arctic aronol w/powerize, you can count on more value for your money with aronol".

The lobster guys back in Maine are using it and seem to like it, i've got some ordered and will give it a try.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I've never heard of it either Steve. I can ask around though.
    I know the only additive we have when the fuelers fuel up is Cetane which isn't used much.
    Our light and heavy duty shops probably use Diesel 911 on occasion but I don't know as I only work the fuel docks where the fuelers fill their bulk trucks.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Thanks Chris i thought about you when i posted the question. I talked with a guy back in Maine that has been using it in his boat for about 4 years and likes it, he has a newer style diesel in the boat and he also races the boat in the lobster boat races. I'll give it a try and see how it works.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Not being a smart-alec Steve. How the heck are can we know whether or not it is doing ANYTHING? In my world of science we see studies all of the time where end-points can be manipulated on the basis of selection criteria. It is possible to say that they sky is ONLY orange if you allow me to set the times of observation...are you going to measure mileage, EGT, torque, or some other parameter?

I dump diesel additive (Stanadyne) in my tank all of the time but that doesn't mean a hill o' beans. Does anyone have more data than "I like it" or "my engine hasn't blown up"?

The way we would know is to look at shop records for equipment using this product.
    The shop where I work on the slope keeps meticulous records on their vehicles and equipment and could tell you how a product preforms based on its service record and that of equipment not using said product. Or a before and after comparison since they started using it.
    If they are making claims that we are using it up here our shops service writer would know but I rarely get in there and don't know those guys very well.

Kasilofchrisn,

The point is that despite meticulous records that there is not a causal relationship established between the use of the product and the observed outcomes. It requires adequate volumes of equipment, randomly and anonymously assigned to test or control groups, controlled for confounding variables, and run over an adequate duration of time to make these endpoints known...and then to figure out whether or not they are also cost-effective. Tougher to do than it sounds...

IceKing02

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    Kasilofchrisn,

The point is that despite meticulous records that there is not a causal relationship established between the use of the product and the observed outcomes. It requires adequate volumes of equipment, randomly and anonymously assigned to test or control groups, controlled for confounding variables, and run over an adequate duration of time to make these endpoints known...and then to figure out whether or not they are also cost-effective. Tougher to do than it sounds...

IceKing02
    Not so tough when your dealing with a fleet like Kris is talking.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    Kasilofchrisn,

IceKing02
    Yes but when you fleet of vehicles is in the hundreds and they drive over 7 million miles a year you have a lot of test subjects.
    And yes they do test products up here on occasion.
    When our Semi's got the temp-a-start installed our shop manager was working on an almost daily basis with the manufacturer to make improvements.
    From the manufacturer the big diesels would slobber on the ground out the exhaust and were not up to our standards.
    Our shop managers inovations and insight made a so -so product work a lot better and all our big trucks now have this feature.
    When we switched to ULSD by federal mandate every one of our trucks went down. over 99% of them went downat some point.
    It was all traced back to an additive that they had put in for lubricity gelling in the tanks.
    Now we don't use that product anymore.
    Like I said they keep detailed records and can track wether a product reduces or exacerbates a problem that we have encountered.
    Maybe not on a molecular level but certainly they can read the trends and determine if something helps or hinders.
    Also any company making claims that it is used in the arctic on the north slope should be held accountable as to which shops use the product so refrences can be called.

Are you looking to increase lubricity, cetane number, or an antigel additive?
    "I'd rather be fishing!"