Thread: Are these wolf tracks?

Default Are these wolf tracks?

Is there a solid way to tell the difference between wolf and large dog from the track? I was in an area where it could be a domestic dog but I also saw tracks from a caribou calf about 100 yards away. Anywhere the caribou show up, wolves might show up too, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Is there a solid way to tell the difference between wolf and large dog from the track?
    Size. Not much for scale in the pic, but I don't see anything there that cries wolf. Maybe coyote. Most likely a medium sized domestic dog.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Something for perspective would help a bunch, might be a Chihuahua. Far as I know there is no way to tell the difference in canines by there foot prints.

Is there a solid way to tell the difference between wolf and large dog from the track? I was in an area where it could be a domestic dog but I also saw tracks from a caribou calf about 100 yards away. Anywhere the caribou show up, wolves might show up too, right?

No they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    No they are not.
    Yes they are.

I wouldn't think so either. From most wolf tracks I've seen in snow or soft mud, the toes are usually splayed out more than those. You know....like a BIG dog's would......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I wouldn't think so either. From most wolf tracks I've seen in snow or soft mud, the toes are usually splayed out more than those. You know....like a BIG dog's would......lol
    What if its a young wolf? Are all wolves big?

Young wolves are bigger than young dogs.........lol.

BTW......don't argue with yourself.....you can't win.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    What if its a young wolf? Are all wolves big?
    That was actually why I wasn't sure. I should have put something in the picture for scale. I know what a 70 lb German Shepherd paw print looks like and that seemed at least as big, maybe a squidge bigger. Could be a young wolf or a big dog. I was leaning towards dog but then saw the caribou tracks just in front of it that looked about the same age and thought, 'why not?' Nobody knows any characteristic other than size to tell them apart?

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Nobody knows any characteristic other than size to tell them apart?
    Look for a publication titled Tracking Canids: Track and Trail Synopsis by Jim Halfpenny.

Reasonable comparison image here:http://westernwildlife.org/gray-wolf...gns-of-wolves/
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

When identifying wolf from dog tracks, size does matter. Wolf tracks are very robust (4-5") on average. Whereas your typical dog track is medium sized (2-3" possibly 4" for a very large breed dog). The other thing I always take into consideration is location. Obviously if you are on a well traveled path that is commonly occupied by humans, my first guess would always be a dog, although not always the case. If you were in a very remote location where humans seldom travel, my first guess would be a wild canid. The fact that you said caribou tracks were also present could be a clue that the possibility exists that they were wolf tracks, but more info is needed. Also, does there appear to be multiple tracks from other canids close by? If so, that could be a clue that it was a pack traveling together. You have to take all things into consideration.

Wolves usually have a significantly longer stride than even a large dog.

It can't possibly be a wolf if there are caribou tracks nearby. Don't you guys know that wolves and bears kill off all the game?

I have a lab that scales close to 100 #s. Even in mud/soft ground, his tracks are no where near the size of most wolf tracks I've seen.
    I probably have an average sized hand and in mud, a wolf track will hang out either side of the palm.

Agreeing with others here- my impression is they're dog tracks. Without something for size reference it's impossible to tell but it seems very much like a regular dog track.

My 120# Labrador doesn't have feet even remotely as big as a wolf.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

There are absolutely no difference between Husky Dog and Wolf tracks.

Weve had Wolves stalk our Husky at camp this Spring,when she was in heat were sure, the Wolves water'd the Piss fence almost every day for a week and counter pissed everwhere our female pee'd. The big Gray Alpha, he had mega paw prints, even stalked up and whined at her, getting our daughters attention, who stood up, yelled and came at the Grey..... and the Wolf ran away like a Dragster.

We were sure if it was gonna hook up with her or kill her, but it was interesting that the dog learned to climb to the top of our tent There was also a Black wolf, although it wasnt as big as the alpha, and its prints were indistinguishable from the Huskys.It stayed on the periphery of our camp when they were running together. Side by side, and only knowing which set of tracks was fresh, i wish I had a picture, you really cant tell the difference.

Labs and other dogs with notable type toes and such migh leave a different print.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....