Thread: Mag na port?

Default Mag na port?

I have never been a big fan of ports or brakes because of the increased noise and/or muzzle blast. Do any of you shoot a hand gun that is Mag na ported? If so, would you port your gun again if you had it to do over?

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I have never been a big fan of ports or brakes because of the increased noise and/or muzzle blast. Do any of you shoot a hand gun that is Mag na ported? If so, would you port your gun again if you had it to do over?

The barrel cylinder gap is closer to your ears than is any porting on a revolver. I have shot 2 FA-83 454s 4 3/4" barrels on both with one magna ported and the other not ported and detected no difference in the noise.
    IME magna porting helps more with barrel rise than with recoil, at least with 300 grain and heavier loads.

.338 mag. ,,,, I concur with jwp500, all of my handguns, (less my Ruger MKIII .22 Hunter) are all Mag-Na-Ported, as is most of my rifles as well, had my first Port job done 30+ yrs. ago, and I haven't looked back.
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

I'm a fan too. I have a couple of 629's magnaported- a 4" and an 8 3/8". Shooting that 4" before and after was an eye opener. DA and fast single action follow-ups were out of the question for me before porting. Just couldn't do it, and I'm a lifelong DA shooter. But with the porting, the barrel lifts less than my 7" Redhawk, so it's a dream for DA shooting. The porting on the 8 3/8" is even more impressive. Too bad the thing is so long to carry, because it sure is a sweetheart in the recoil department. Back to the 4"- I've had three friends now that compared their own unported 4" guns with my ported 4". Now all three are magnaported.

Yeah, noise is an issue. But it's an issue with any magnum handgun shot without ear protection. With the protection, what's the worry about porting?

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'm a fan too. I have a couple of 629's magnaported- a 4" and an 8 3/8". Shooting that 4" before and after was an eye opener. DA and fast single action follow-ups were out of the question for me before porting. Just couldn't do it, and I'm a lifelong DA shooter. But with the porting, the barrel lifts less than my 7" Redhawk, so it's a dream for DA shooting. The porting on the 8 3/8" is even more impressive. Too bad the thing is so long to carry, because it sure is a sweetheart in the recoil department. Back to the 4"- I've had three friends now that compared their own unported 4" guns with my ported 4". Now all three are magnaported.

Yeah, noise is an issue. But it's an issue with any magnum handgun shot without ear protection. With the protection, what's the worry about porting?

BrownBear; ,,,, Well said,,,, and the difference in shooting my 329PD, before and after, well,,,, the diff. between Night & Day, Literally, NO comparison, and like I said, I haven't looked back.
    Attachment 79482Attachment 79483
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

The stouter the load the more it works
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Short barrel, stout loads really tames muzzle flip and "torque" of the gun wanting to twist. Made a huge difference on my 4" 454 Redhawk. I also had my Kiimber 325wsm mag-na-ported. Totally tamed the muzzle flip and torque of that light rifle with the whippy barrel.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

MINE WORKS..! The benefits of having a revolver "Mag-Na-Ported" far outweigh the minimal amount of noise added. The cylinder gap on a 460 S&W revolver( and some others) allows enough gasses to escape to cut your fingers off, and people worry about the noise of a hand cannon at the muzzle. I would have to do a lot of research before using some of the other muzzle breaks though.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !