Thread: new super redhawk sights

Default new super redhawk sights

i'm planning on replacing the stock sights on my super redhawk and would like to get some input on what sights some people may be using that they prefer. i would like to replace the orange-block front sight w/a hi-viz sight which comes in either green or red and is round. i have the green hi-viz sight on a little plinker which is nice and bright but does anyone use the red that thinks it's the bees-knees? also i've currently been using the square notch rear sight, but would the "v" sight work better with the round hi-viz sight? i'm pretty sure i'm overthinking this.....

XS big dot with v rear. HiVis is no vis in the woods with low light,learned the hard way.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

that looks like a cool sight...didn't know it existed. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    XS big dot with v rear. HiVis is no vis in the woods with low light,learned the hard way.

I want steel on a serious hunting or defensive hand gun as I have seen some broken fiber optic sights. Lots of choices for color or inserts so hit the net and do some searching.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I want steel on a serious hunting or defensive hand gun as I have seen some broken fiber optic sights. Lots of choices for color or inserts so hit the net and do some searching.
    I've seen broken sights of all types on just about ever make of handgun. More a sign of abusing handling than a certain type of signt, IMHO. I believe the new Talo Toklats comes with standard and gold bead/ v notch rears? Not sure they'd work on a regular Super Redhawk?
    Steve

I put Williams Firesights on my .480 Super Red Hawk. The shoot ability went up tremendously. Makes for tremendously easier sighting over stock, especially when it's dusky. Man I love my Ruger.

in my search i've seen that sights can come in different heights; say, 0.610" high or 0.533" high. i'm not sure how high the stock sight is but i seem to have plenty of adjustment left in it. sorry for my ignorance but what would drive me to buying a taller sight or shorter sight?

Quote Originally Posted by ak-fang View Post
    in my search i've seen that sights can come in different heights; say, 0.610" high or 0.533" high. i'm not sure how high the stock sight is but i seem to have plenty of adjustment left in it. sorry for my ignorance but what would drive me to buying a taller sight or shorter sight?
    When the phrase "I seem to have plenty of adjustment left" is no longer applicable, you will be driven do buy a taller or shorter sight.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

so i thought about it a bit (never a good thing) and correct me if i'm wrong...with the shorter sight i'll have more close range adjustment and with the taller sight i'll have more longer distance adjustment?

so i finally got a new front sight. it is 0.533" high. i went yesterday to sight it in and ran out of adjustment with it still being nearly 8" high at 25 yds. i have the v-notch rear sight. i assume if i switch back to the square notch i might get a bit more adjustment; also, as i thought more about it, if i got a taller front sight (0.610") it would bring the point of impact down a bit more also. right? so by getting the taller front sight and switching back to the square notch in the rear do y'all think it would bring the point of impact down enough?
    i sure appreciate all the suggestions on sights. there were many that i wanted but were also incompatible with my particular side arm so i ended up getting the hi-viz front.

ak-fang,,,, FWIW, here is what i'm using on my Ruger BSBlack_Hunter, and I'm sighted in@ 100' +/-, or 30yds. "Very" quick sight acquisition, even in Low light situations.

Attachment 82209Attachment 82210

"TG"
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

AK-Fang is your rear sight all the way down or up? If all the way down you need a taller sight on front.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I run this same sight, Ruger One-Hole sight....very good IMO

Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    ak-fang,,,, FWIW, here is what i'm using on my Ruger BSBlack_Hunter, and I'm sighted in@ 100' +/-, or 30yds. "Very" quick sight acquisition, even in Low light situations.

Attachment 82209Attachment 82210

"TG"

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    AK-Fang is your rear sight all the way down or up? If all the way down you need a taller sight on front.
    thanks! the rear sight is all the way down and conceptually i figured i may need a taller front sight but thought i would run it by the guru's before i returned the one i just got. i appreciate the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by ak-fang View Post
    thanks! the rear sight is all the way down and conceptually i figured i may need a taller front sight but thought i would run it by the guru's before i returned the one i just got. i appreciate the feedback!
    2 different rear sight blade heights are also available.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

I put Meprolight sights on my 480,they are wonderful at night in a tent, you always know where that gun is due to the glow of the 3-dot system. They are pretty rugged and have been on the gun for more than 1500 rounds of full power 480's. They run around $125 on Amazon. The big dot would work well too. Jim

got the taller front sight installed and took it out for a bit of sighting in. the taller front sight was enough to bring the point of impact down. i also have plenty of adjustability which is really helpful cause I'm having a heck of a time being accurate with this sidearm. gonna need plenty of range time (and a couple more kegs of h110...if ya hear of any sources let me know, I'm currently on 'empty') to get to where i'm confident in my capabilities with it. i'm okay with that as i really enjoy shooting it and thoroughly enjoy the challenge of becoming competent with a new sidearm. i've definitely appreciated all the feedback provided!