Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The official Unit 13 Caribou thread (2014-2015)

Default The official Unit 13 Caribou thread (2014-2015)

With the season just over a month away, for RC566 Aug. 10th, What is everyones plans this year? Any good rumors? Lets get this started and get pumped up for another interesting season. I have two areas planned but will wait and see what the animals are going to do. Last year it seemed they threw a curve ball and it came down to being in the right spot at the right time.

Good luck to all this year and lets do our part to make it a safe and fun season.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Down that way today... saw about 20. Hopefully they'll move earlier than last year but hitting it hard and hitting it often is the plan!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Ill go where Ive been going the last two years by Eureaka have gotten a nice fat cow without a calf both years opening morning. Then it will be time to get ready for duck season.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

My son has the DC481 tag, we are flying in on Sept 12th
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I'm hoping the population is in good shape and moving around like normal this year, because I might not get to hunt until September. If the hunt's still open then, I'm planning to try a hike-in, float-out with my PR-49.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

Dang it , bliss this was my thread to start. I was gonna call Glenallen on Monday and see if they have flown the survey. Last time I talked to frank over there, he made it sound like they would have it flown by this weekend. With the good weather, it wouldn't surprise if they did. I've made my plans anyway, so I'm just hoping for good numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Sorry, Didn't know there was ownership of it, just hadn't seen it started and figured with the season fast approaching it was a good time. Please accept my appoligy if I stepped on toes.

It will be nice to see the survey so I hope they are able to complete it soon. It helps with planning and logistics. I may try a new area this year but will wait for the report to decide. I usually plan for at least two areas and decide at the last minute on which one to go too. Keeps options open

Troutnut, every year I fret about the season closing early and me not getting to hunt in September. Last year they gave out so many permits I shot a bou sept 1, cause I was worried about it closing. I didn't mead to worry cause it was open to sept 20. Never has the season closed before the sept 20 deadline. And hopefully they will learn from there boneheaded move last year and not give out 10,000 permits!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Troutnut, every year I fret about the season closing early and me not getting to hunt in September. Last year they gave out so many permits I shot a bou sept 1, cause I was worried about it closing. I didn't mead to worry cause it was open to sept 20. Never has the season closed before the sept 20 deadline. And hopefully they will learn from there boneheaded move last year and not give out 10,000 permits!
    I too hope they learned from that horrible decision. After such a rough year last go around, I hope they keep it where its at and let the herd have somewhat of a break. I wouldn't even be opposed to Bull only to help the herd. The easy spring should help a lot so only timne will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Sorry, Didn't know there was ownership of it, just hadn't seen it started and figured with the season fast approaching it was a good time. Please accept my appoligy if I stepped on toes.

It will be nice to see the survey so I hope they are able to complete it soon. It helps with planning and logistics. I may try a new area this year but will wait for the report to decide. I usually plan for at least two areas and decide at the last minute on which one to go too. Keeps options open
    I refuse to accept your apology. I want monetary compensation for my loss of personal ownership of the most viewed thread on the forums last year. Or heck, I'd settle for some good information on where the caribou will be on opening day... Or a yeti permit.

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    I refuse to accept your apology. I want monetary compensation for my loss of personal ownership of the most viewed thread on the forums last year. Or heck, I'd settle for some good information on where the caribou will be on opening day... Or a yeti permit.

Not sure on the Caribou but I found a hot spot for Yeti... Record book wall hangers

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Not sure on the Caribou but I found a hot spot for Yeti... Record book wall hangers
    As long as it's free range and fair chase. I want to be able to get in Boone and Crocket if it's good enough.

As of 8:45 AM Monday, they still haven't flown the survey. Hopefully this week per the new lady out there.

So will it be a new voice on the hotline? I sure hope not, the old one was nice.

The caribou have been scarce around here so far. I have confirmed reports that there are several thousand hanging around Watana Lake, but that's WAY out there! Windy creek has been really thin. I'm out here several times a week and we see one or two each time, but that's it. There are a few up Valdez but at most 20 that we have seen. Couple of small bulls. Not too many along the highway either. We have a lot of time, so who knows in the next month where they will be! Good luck all!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Just to make ya slobber!!

I was on my way back from Anchorage Monday night and at the Tazlina Airstrip was one of the largest velvet bulls I have ever see. He stood still as i pulled on to the strip and took a long look at him. Massive rack, thick beams and to think he has at least a month of growth left!

I darted a tracking beacon into his Arss so I can come find him 8/1/14 at exactly 12:01 am.

Ha!

Walt
    Gulkana Raft Rentals
    907-259-4290

As of yesterday, they still haven't flown the survey. Need warm weather to push them up high where they can count them as a big bunch.

I was on my way down to Klutina last Saturday night and pulled off at Poplar Grove to stretch my legs and let the dogs run around for a while. We walked down the trail to the put-in - right where Walt dumps his rafts in the river - to see if the river would be fishable for kings at all. Well, of course it wasn't - I'd call it macchiato brown. Anyways, the bank is eroded away from Walt's overuse, and right there under the cut bank we spooked a juvenile male yeti when we got there. He was looking around in the rocks for lost spin-n-glows and pocket knives. When we spooked him, he jumped in the river and swam across and ran up into the spruce thicket on the other side. Obviously I didn't have my camera with me. I was surprised that he was so easily spooked away, as I was under the impression that they were blood-thirsty carnivores. Only thing I can I figure is he didn't want to be licked to death by my Labrador.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Denalihunter; thanks for the update and I hope that you have a good summer. Keep the reports coming and we'll see this hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I was on my way down to Klutina last Saturday night and pulled off at Poplar Grove to stretch my legs and let the dogs run around for a while. We walked down the trail to the put-in - right where Walt dumps his rafts in the river - to see if the river would be fishable for kings at all. Well, of course it wasn't - I'd call it macchiato brown. Anyways, the bank is eroded away from Walt's overuse, and right there under the cut bank we spooked a juvenile male yeti when we got there. He was looking around in the rocks for lost spin-n-glows and pocket knives. When we spooked him, he jumped in the river and swam across and ran up into the spruce thicket on the other side. Obviously I didn't have my camera with me. I was surprised that he was so easily spooked away, as I was under the impression that they were blood-thirsty carnivores. Only thing I can I figure is he didn't want to be licked to death by my Labrador.
    Just a quick question - did he do a dog paddle, Australian crawl, side stroke or what? Was he by any chance using those blow-up thingies on his arms - you say he was a young one? (Yes I am writing a book.)
    I can completely understand his fear of a Lab's tongue (or his tail, for that matter).

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast