Thread: Chulitna

Default Chulitna

Getting ready to take a float trip on the Chulitna. Leaving in the next couple of days. The current plan is to put in on the east fork.
    Anyone have a report on the water levels and how the king run is down that way?

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Humphrey View Post
    Getting ready to take a float trip on the Chulitna. Leaving in the next couple of days. The current plan is to put in on the east fork.
    King salmon harvest (of any size) is prohibited within Unit 1 (except on Deshka River), on the Parks Highway streams within Unit 2, the upper Susitna (Unit 3), Talachulitna River (Unit 4), Talkeetna River (Unit 5), and Chulitna River (Unit 6). Fishing, but not harvest of king salmon will be allowed during days and times normally open to king salmon fishing within these management units (July 5-7 is last weekend) http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.NR&NRID=1911

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    King salmon harvest (of any size) is prohibited within Unit 1 (except on Deshka River), on the Parks Highway streams within Unit 2, the upper Susitna (Unit 3), Talachulitna River (Unit 4), Talkeetna River (Unit 5), and Chulitna River (Unit 6). Fishing, but not harvest of king salmon will be allowed during days and times normally open to king salmon fishing within these management units (July 5-7 is last weekend) http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/i...n.NR&NRID=1911
    Thanks for the reminder. I was aware of the catch and release along with the closer dates. The plan was/is to put in on the clear water (east fork) on the afternoon of the 6th and catch the last day of fishing.
    Does anyone have an update on the current water levels and what to expect related to the king run?

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Humphrey View Post
    A little high but sounds floatable.

http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nwis/uv...cd=00065,00060

You might want to contact Dennis.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...une-2011/page2

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Those of you that take out at Honolulu....how does that work? Seems like confluence is a long ways from road access, right?

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    Those of you that take out at Honolulu....how does that work? Seems like confluence is a long ways from road access, right?
    About 3 miles, nice easy trail.

troublesome is much shorter; about a half mile.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    troublesome is much shorter; about a half mile.
    Is troublesome mouth a day float? I can't imagine you carry all your camping gear, fishing gear, and raft out to the highway?

As for Honolulu, that trailhead must be where I see vehicles parked on the way up the hill on the right? I can see cabins down there, but figured was all private.

Default Chulitna

Is troublesome mouth a day float? I can't imagine you carry all your camping gear, fishing gear, and raft out to the highway?

As for Honolulu, that trailhead must be where I see vehicles parked on the way up the hill on the right? I can see cabins down there, but figured was all private.
    If I were to do this again, I would figure a way to get all the gear out at Honolulu. Atvs were down there last year, which leads me to believe you can figure a way to get your raft back to the road. It was a fun trip all the way down, but the last two days were rowing. If I did the whole length again, it would be to fish the creeks on the other side and away from the road.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Kmac, isn't those cabins at the mouth of byers? I can picture them but cant remember where off the top of my head. I never did get down to them.

Thanks for the tip BC. How was spring inconnu? buddy did that trip years back..he's finally back in state so we might be nocking your door down fly rods in hand .

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Kmac, isn't those cabins at the mouth of byers? I can picture them but cant remember where off the top of my head. I never did get down to them.

Thanks for the tip BC. How was spring inconnu? buddy did that trip years back..he's finally back in state so we might be nocking your door down fly rods in hand .
    No....the mouth of Byers is a LOOONG way from the bridge...there are cabins back on the subdivision they punched in years ago, but even then Byers parallels the hwy (back in there a mile or 2) for a long time before it dumps into Chu. No cabins in view from hwy there. The cabins I'm talking about are at the bottom of a steep hwy hill on your right. There's a little dirt parking lot you can park in and then a trail down to cabins. They are either down river from East Fork bridge or Honolulu bridge. Can't remember which and that area is blurry on map sites.

Edited to add: Just found this on a packrafting report, which leads me to believe it's Honolulu with the cabins: "The hike out was fairly short and fast – it took about 20 to 30 minutes. There is a more direct way with via a trail, but it ends up in someone’s driveway complete with a ton of “No Trespassing” signs, so we just bushwhacked directly out to the road."

I'm familiar with the cabins...told myself those were byers, its no wonder I never did get to them LOL! I remember having a conversation about trout and these very cabins, we never did make the trip before my buddy pcsd out. Never bothered going back looking for them over the years, heck I don't remember to look anymore, normally its mid night runs south.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    I'm familiar with the cabins...told myself those were byers, its no wonder I never did get to them LOL! I remember having a conversation about trout and these very cabins, we never did make the trip before my buddy pcsd out. Never bothered going back looking for them over the years, heck I don't remember to look anymore, normally its mid night runs south.
    Honolulu does have several cabins on the south bank, just downstream of its confluence with the east fork. Just downstream from that is the confluence with the west fork and the highly silted water begins. There is a nice wide trail to the aforementioned parking areas and you can definitely avoid private property. Closer to the road, there are some very abandoned looking structures (trailer home?). I don't know how you intend to transport the raft via ATV, but if a trailer is involved just remember that at some point you must bound the railroad bed... Might be tricky with a trailer? Either way, best of luck and have fun!
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

If you haven't left yet- I just heard from a buddy that the water is high and murky with no trout biting. Cancelled our trip for now...