Thread: Is the Big Boss A-arm bolt problem fixed on 2014 models?

Default Is the Big Boss A-arm bolt problem fixed on 2014 models?

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a new 2014 Big Boss but the horror stories about the A-arm bolts breaking has me concerned. Has Polaris changed the bolt on the 2014 model or are they still ignoring the issue?

​I don't believe the problem has been addressed.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I just purchased a Big Boss. i asked the salesman about it and he said Polaris has not done anything but not everyone has this problem. He showed me what to weld to prevent it. Where the bolt goes through the frame it also so goes through another plate, weld that to the frame. I have not done this yet but i will before hunting season. So far so awsome otherwise. For what it's worth...........

Quote Originally Posted by kkivie View Post
    I just purchased a Big Boss. i asked the salesman about it and he said Polaris has not done anything but not everyone has this problem. He showed me what to weld to prevent it. Where the bolt goes through the frame it also so goes through another plate, weld that to the frame. I have not done this yet but i will before hunting season. So far so awsome otherwise. For what it's worth...........
    This is the 1st I've heard of this cure. Anyone else tried it?? Where did you purchase your rig from?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Matanuska-Susitna-20130829-01705.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    This is the 1st I've heard of this cure. Anyone else tried it?? Where did you purchase your rig from?
    I wouldn't call it a cure but maybe a band aid. I broke 2 bolts before the welds and none after.

Got it from Hatchers Pass Polaris.

Quote Originally Posted by kkivie View Post
    I wonder if welding it like the salesman says voids the warranty though? I could easily see Polaris claiming it is an unauthorized modification and denying a claim.

hatchers gave me a quote earlier this week on a new big boss that was pretty good. I'm out of state on business but plan on talking to them when I get back on friday. I'm going to ask about the welding fix

I would most definitely count on Polaris using that against you. The dealer on the other hand may be more forgiving but I would think it would be hard to get answer until you had problems. I got a bit more work than just welding the brace on my machine and I knew if I was to have problems they could tie to my modifications I was gonna be SOL so I didnt even purchase the extended warranty.
    You could just break bolts, bend and bust up other components of the machine in the mean time and limp it to the dealer for them to fix every time while the warranty is in effect. I definitely opt not to go that route.

I would not think it would void warranty on unrelated components. if it stops the bolts from breaking when you got a moose on it and you are 20 miles from nowhere, well worth the risk.

Well, I guess I will find out of if the suggested modification fixes it. I'm picking up my new machine tomorrow and will be getting in touch with AKMud to see if he can do the welding job.

Quote Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
    I would most definitely count on Polaris using that against you. The dealer on the other hand may be more forgiving but I would think it would be hard to get answer until you had problems. I got a bit more work than just welding the brace on my machine and I knew if I was to have problems they could tie to my modifications I was gonna be SOL so I didnt even purchase the extended warranty.
    You could just break bolts, bend and bust up other components of the machine in the mean time and limp it to the dealer for them to fix every time while the warranty is in effect. I definitely opt not to go that route.

I'll talk to them about that today when I go to pick it up. I'm leaning towards having the welding done when the warranty expires just in case.

Funny how they downplay the issue when you bring it up. The sales manager at HP Wasilla claimed they have only had it happen to 5% of all the machines they have sold. I doubt that figure reading this forum and other forums but I guess I will see. One thing is for sure, if I have issues with the bolts and Polaris doesn't stand by it, it will be last one I buy.

Oh, and just in case anybody from Marita reads these forums...your new hours and not being open on weekends cost you a sale. Enjoy your weekends off!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    Funny how they downplay the issue when you bring it up. The sales manager at HP Wasilla claimed they have only had it happen to 5% of all the machines they have sold.
    That must include their snowmachines. ha
    It happened to both of mine (2011 and 2012.) One cost me a trip going in solo and limping back out after it bent the a-arm. It did carry a moose out in two trips last year no problems.

HP has always been good on their customer service though.

Quote Originally Posted by BTK View Post

HP has always been good on their customer service though.

They reassured me that if I had the fix done they would still cover any broken bolts and associated damage. They stressed that they don't play games with warranty claims. Hatcher's has always had a good reputation for taking care of their customers so I trust them.

Don't waste your money or time on the welds. Welded ours and broke 3 bolts in less then 40 miles.