Thread: Thumbs up for Potbuilder

Default Thumbs up for Potbuilder

Finally got to try out Steve's pots in Valdez and simply put, 2 thumbs up. Fish great, sturdy, and for all the newbies out there (like me) Steve is not afraid to share his 20+ years of experience with you. If anyone is interested in starting up or updating pots Steve has my recommendation. My best pull so far 170 shrimp in 3 pots, and yes I'm buying 2 more now. luck all

p.s. yes I counted them, like I said I'm a newbie and it was a lot of fun.

Don't worry I still count them too. I'm experimenting with different pots and setups and keeping records. I still haven't reached any concrete conclusions yet but all pot designs definately do not fish the same.

I count all of them. Its just in my blood!!! I pulled 770 in three pulls this spring and counted every one of them!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

770....so when's the BBQ? can't wait to get some more myself, was a lot of fun and best shrimp I've ever eaten hands down. bearbait I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with, and I agree, they are different based on seeing what the guys I work with are pulling and using.

I am up to 1550 so far this year, not that I am counting or anything. Nice change as last year was pretty lame overall.

Potbuilder, are your pots calapsable? I am in the market to upgrade to calapsable pots here shortly.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Fishnhunter, I'm still working on some definitive answers from my experiments. I've probably made 30 different pots in many styles with many different entrance types in the last 3 years. The pots are easy and cheap to make once you get a roll of wire. It's fun trying to figure out what works best.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I am up to 1550 so far this year, not that I am counting or anything. Nice change as last year was pretty lame overall.

Potbuilder, are your pots calapsable? I am in the market to upgrade to calapsable pots here shortly.
    Yes i do have a folding model, please pm me your email address and i'll send you some info on them.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhuntr View Post
    Finally got to try out Steve's pots in Valdez and simply put, 2 thumbs up. Fish great, sturdy, and for all the newbies out there (like me) Steve is not afraid to share his 20+ years of experience with you. If anyone is interested in starting up or updating pots Steve has my recommendation. My best pull so far 170 shrimp in 3 pots, and yes I'm buying 2 more now. luck all

p.s. yes I counted them, like I said I'm a newbie and it was a lot of fun.
    Cody,
    Many thanks for the review on the pots, i do appreciate it greatly.
    Steve da potbuilder

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Silly shrimping question

Is it feasible to shrimp up here without a boat? When I was stationed in Florida we used to drop pots (they call them traps there) along the seawalls on the Banana and Indian Rivers near Cocoa Beach.

I can't afford a boat right now, but man do I miss fresh shrimp for dinner.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John_Pennell View Post
    Is it feasible to shrimp up here without a boat? When I was stationed in Florida we used to drop pots (they call them traps there) along the seawalls on the Banana and Indian Rivers near Cocoa Beach.

I can't afford a boat right now, but man do I miss fresh shrimp for dinner.

John
    There are some spots relatively close to whittier you could kayak out to, but asside from that, you really need a boat to get to the shrimp, and the fish.

Considering how many thousands of miles of coastline Alaska has, I'd be suprised if there was even a 100 miles road accessible.

Guess i need to build a small areodynamic pot that could be cast out with a Hatteras heaver type surf rod ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692