Thread: Sheep around the Delta Controlled Use Area

Default Sheep around the Delta Controlled Use Area

Any thoughts on the Sheep count and access around the Delta CUA

Call the local biologist. They were super helpful when I called a 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska2flyin View Post
    Any thoughts on the Sheep count and access around the Delta CUA
    Around it as in...inside the DCUA or the areas around/outside of the DCUA? If you have a Delta tag, take a look at F&G's website that focuses on the area, and, as suggested, call the bio in the Delta office.

I've got the late Delta tag this year, so just be sure that you don't go hunting where I'm planning to go.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...phunting.delta

I talked to the biologist yesterday and he hasn't had the opportunity to do a count in DCUA yet as we've had clouds and rain......soon he says.

The winter could have been bad or it may have been good for the sheep depending on whether t.he winter thaw and rain iced over the food supply. My hunch is that the sheep had a good winter

I drove through the area on the Richardson Highway up to Delta last weekend. I stopped at every pullout and glassed as I have the DS 203 tag. The only sheep I saw were actually in the mountains south of the DCUA. I am going to be hunting somewhere along that stretch of the Richardson because I don't have the time do the long haul in from the north. Anyone have any advice or tips on crossing the Delta River? The few places I looked at around Black Rapids did not look safely crossable in my PR-49. I have talked to the biologist a couple times earlier on and have a couple of areas to look at. PM me or call me if you have any other questions about that area Alaska2flyin.

Matt
    841-5666

My dad and i rafted across the river and hunted the drainage next to mt pillsbury 6-7 yrs ago. As we were crossing another guy obviously had the same plan we did, we ended up hanging out with him and looking over the whole area. We took one day to look over into the McGinnis glacier valley and saw no legal rams. We ended up spending most of our time checking out all the little bowls that we could. I figure we saw 30-35 rams and couldn't make any of them legal. Within the first couple of days we also saw 7 other guys in there passing thru to try and find there own spot to hunt. Anyways that drainage does get some pressure, and some of those rams should be a little bigger.