Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What a jerk this trooper was!

Default What a jerk this trooper was!

http://www.adn.com/2014/07/03/354610...l?sp=/99/110//

This guy was a jerk. Must have been hard up to write ticket!

Yeah I saw that. Should have given a warning and went on his way.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    http://www.adn.com/2014/07/03/354610...l?sp=/99/110//

This guy was a jerk. Must have been hard up to write ticket!
    Agreed.....the trooper needs to find more meaningful things to look into. Ohhhh, say.....maybe all the robberies or meth heads in the valley!
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Yeah I saw that. Should have given a warning and went on his way.

Cant do that, especially on quota day. It's a money making machine...
    ~Alaska born and raised~ •'04 Duckworth, 5.7 w/ 3-stg. •High side Lowe, '13 Yami 25 prop+Merc 40/30 jet
    •Ranger 6x •CAT atv w/ 27" rubber •A very large moose buggy •M7 153" "Earned, NOT given"

I understand where the trooper was coming from: we can't have whole fleets of floating picnic tables out there circumventing the laws. If they didn't crack down on this one, we would see floating campgrounds on every body of water.

Default What a jerk this trooper was!

That's just cr@p!! That quote from the Coast Guard is just wrong. I was a CG Boarding Officer for years. There is such a thing/designation as a "water toy". Like surf boards...boogey boards...wind surfers, stand-up paddle boards etc, that aren't REQUIRED by the Coast Guard to have safety equipment and life jackets.

However, it is always smart to wear a PFD when on the water.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to sayak again.
    I think we don't need a bunch of homeade rafts/boats out there circumventing the lifejacket laws either.
    How would we be responding differently if the head line read:
    " Two brothers drowned today when their homeade picnic table boat capsized. The brothers did not have lifejackets onboard the homebuilt craft and died ten feet from shore"?
    We would most likely be talking about how crazy they were for going out on such an unstable craft without life jackets and how unsafe that idea is.
    What if they had taken the picnic table on the river and flipped in some mild rapids? Who knows where their next adventure with such a craft would have taken them.
    Now they and many other boaters know that any craft homebuilt or not will require life jackets onboard.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by akspudus View Post
    That's just cr@p!! That quote from the Coast Guard is just wrong. I was a CG Boarding Officer for years. There is such a thing/designation as a "water toy". Like surf boards...boogey boards...wind surfers, stand-up paddle boards etc, that aren't REQUIRED by the Coast Guard to have safety equipment and life jackets.

However, it is always smart to wear a PFD when on the water.
    I'd have to disagree....in addition to the other infractions for which they were not cited, they crossed the "water toy" line when they hooked up a battery and trolling motor. All that said, I think a warning would have served all better. The violators didn't sound like unreasonable people and likely would have honored the trooper's direction. Sadly, I've witnessed "crime of the century" treatment for even lesser transgressions.

I was there they were in about 12 " of water max just to see if it would float. Boat owner was polite trooper was exercising his power I thought.
    Should have had a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    I was there they were in about 12 " of water max just to see if it would float. Boat owner was polite trooper was exercising his power I thought.
    Should have had a warning.
    When the ticket was issued they were in 12" of water.
    Did they have plans post float check to head out across the lake? Considering they had a trolling motor mounted one has to wonder.........

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I think we don't need a bunch of homeade rafts/boats out there circumventing the lifejacket laws either.
    How would we be responding differently if the head line read:
    We would most likely be talking about how crazy they were for going out on such an unstable craft without life jackets and how unsafe that idea is.
    What if they had taken the picnic table on the river and flipped in some mild rapids? Who knows where their next adventure with such a craft would have taken them.
    Now they and many other boaters know that any craft homebuilt or not will require life jackets onboard.
    You cant deal with what if's. They were in knee deep water No rapids.

Aren't they going to have fun with the Red Green regatta or whatever they call it in Fairbanks! Beer, homemade boats, and a fully sponsored event.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    You cant deal with what if's. They were in knee deep water No rapids.
    With a trolling motor and battery mounted!
    You cannot say whether or not they had intentions to motor further out into the lake any more than I can say they had intentions to hit the river next.
    Had they not been sitting on the "boat"(?) I might think differently.
    I have 2 boats and a canoe. All require lifejackets and every year it seems I am replacing one or two of them. I don't think it is fair to say that people testing boats should not be required to have a lifejacket on board for each person and those venturing out even just twenty more feet should be required to carry them.
    like I said only the two men involved knew their true intentions as to whether or not their "boat"(?) would have been taken out to deeper water on that day after their floatation test.

BIG BROTHER!!! They get the $ any way they can!! And we wonder why the world is laughing at us??
    Agan my personal thoughts.
    Goo

I wasn't aware that the world is laughing at us.

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    BIG BROTHER!!! They get the $ any way they can!! And we wonder why the world is laughing at us??
    Agan my personal thoughts.
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    With a trolling motor and battery mounted!
    You cannot say whether or not they had intentions to motor further out into the lake any more than I can say they had intentions to hit the river next.
    Had they not been sitting on the "boat"(?) I might think differently.
    I have 2 boats and a canoe. All require lifejackets and every year it seems I am replacing one or two of them. I don't think it is fair to say that people testing boats should not be required to have a lifejacket on board for each person and those venturing out even just twenty more feet should be required to carry them.
    like I said only the two men involved knew their true intentions as to whether or not their "boat"(?) would have been taken out to deeper water on that day after their floatation test.
    Perhaps they will shuttle some of those boater tax dollars toward developing a future crimes division of the troopers.

Ok so here is why I think the Troopers were justified.
    Say I take any one of my boats and launch it but have yet to take off from the ramp. Then lets say a trooper or other officer (Coast Guard,NOAA,etc) approaches me and asks to see my life jackets, flares,whistle or whatever is required for that vessel.
    If I know I am not in compliance should I be able to tell them that I was just testing out some repairs to the boat and was not venturing out any further?
    That I was just testing it's seaworthiness for whatever reason or maybe some engine repairs?
    They were not walking around the boat checking for seaworthiness they were sitting at the table drinking juice.
    according to the article linked to the troopers were tasked specifically with checking for boating safety and alcohol violations during this time frame.
    Much like they have times and places where they focus on speeders or focusing on DUI's during the holiday weekends where people typically drink more.
    Besides the fact that they only received tickets for half the things they could have been ticketed for according to the article.
    A warning may have gotten the point across to the brothers involved but this ticket now gets that message out to many more people.
    The message that any floating craft that could be called a boat has minimum requirements that must be followed for safety just like the rest of us Alaska boat owners have to put up with.

Justified? Probably but it sure wasn't a good PR moment. So, can you still swim legally without a pfd? Can you swim out to a diving platform that floats and climb on without a pfd? Can you take off your PFD before jumping in the water? Can you have a glass of juice while sitting on a diving platform without a PFD? These sound like silly questions but giving these guys a ticket is just as silly. Or would I have to bolt a trolling motor to the diving platform to make it a bad thing. Is giving this guy a ticket really how we want our Troopers spending their time? People do all kinds of legal but dangerous stuff. Do we have to make everything that is dangerous illegal or can we just let people be responsible for their own actions. The State is keeping a lot of folks from winning the Darwin Award that really deserve to win. I'm not sure that is a good thing. Oh, yeah. Calling that thing a boat is really stretching.

They were within 6 ft of shore in knee deep water when I saw them, I listened to the conversation thinking the trooper would just warn them. Would have been a better PR move IMHO. Is it true in a paddle craft no motor you need signal device and ect. I know if you have a motor Fire estg., and all the gear.

kk Alaska: I believe the noise maker is required for canoes. I kind-of remember when it wasn't, but it seems like a long time ago that it became required (maybe just a standing regulation that was enforced?) on paddle craft. Our local canoe shop (out of business now) gave the whistles away when it became an issue. They had a big jar of them next to the cash register; "Help yourself."

I keep a whistle on my life jacket and always have my life jacket on when in a canoe or kayak. I don't think the whistle will save me when that big ol' airboat or jetboat comes screaming around the bend, but I don't want my day ruined by LE because I didn't have a 5 cent piece of plastic.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast