Thread: Outboard remote/portable fuel tank repair

Default Outboard remote/portable fuel tank repair

I have an old (1982) OMC metal fuel tank with the built in OMC fitting and built in sight gauge (separate pieces.) The tank has been stored with clean fuel for 15 years. (I swap fuel out every year-it's my emergency stash for power outages, and it keeps condensation from forming in the tank.) Went to use it today (new fuel) with a ball pump (o/b fuel line), and it won't pump fuel. I hear air pushing back into the tank and fuel comes out the tank vent in the cap. I suspect a bad check valve or something in the fitting assembly on the tank. (New hose and ball.) Anyone know where I could get a replacement fitting assembly and gaskets or a rebuild kit or something like that? (A new fuel level indicator might be nice, too.) I would like to use it in a boat again. Inside of tank is spotless.

Walmart around here sells the pieces oddly enough. I have also noticed them online for less the $20.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Check the arrow on the bulb. Sounds like you may have it backwards. If its not that simple, it wouldn't be the first time ive bought a new squeeze bulb that had the check valves inserted backwards from the factory. The check valves are in the bulb. Not in the nipple on the tank. Thats just an open/close valve and its obviously opening. Inspect your squeeze bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Check the arrow on the bulb. Sounds like you may have it backwards. If its not that simple, it wouldn't be the first time ive bought a new squeeze bulb that had the check valves inserted backwards from the factory. The check valves are in the bulb. Not in the nipple on the tank. Thats just an open/close valve and its obviously opening. Inspect your squeeze bulb.
    Hmmm. Well...I did have the arrow int he right direction. LOL. (I WISH it were so simple.) I'm not averse to buying another new fuel line. I could have sworn there was something in that fitting that kept fuel from running back in. But what the heck, I'll try it.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    You were right; it was the bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    You were right; it was the bulb.
    Good to hear it turned out to be that simple for you!