Thread: Espar D2 vs D4 for a Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 HT?

Default Espar D2 vs D4 for a Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 HT?

I've been researching heaters for my Ocean Pro and have narrowed the search down to an Espar heater. It looks like these are very popular heaters and that they are quality equipment.
    I'm in Juneau, Alaska and will be using the heater during spring king fishing in May through deer season into December. We get a lot of rain and have to battle lots of fog on the windows.
    I've talked with a few dealers and have gotten lots of advice. Most of the advice is consistent, however what isn't consistent is the recommendations for a d2 heater vs a d4 heater. I'd like to hear from people that have these heaters in a similar boat as mine. I don't want to purchase one expensive heater only to wish I had purchased something different.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Todd

D-4 if your planning to use it during deer season.
    D-2 if you are just knocking the chill off on a rainy day in the summer.
    BK

I saw a Russian knock-off of the Espar D4 at Odie's a couple of weeks back. I'd assume that they can make a good copy of the real thing. As BKmail said the D4 really is the bomb! I wouldn't go any smaller in any case--it is so much more enjoyable for all aboard when the boat is sitting at WHATEVER temp you set all day long...no matter the weather. D4 for sure!

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

I have a D4 in the Roamer 34, and D2 in then 26 seasport (24 coho) with all the expenses I saw coming up I opted for the lower priced D2 and it is better than nothing. The D4 puts out hot heat, seems the D2 is warm.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Talk to the folks at Odie's Marine about the price on that Espar D4 clone if finances are the issue. It was quite reasonable for a D4 unit.

I have a D2 in my 22' searunner and its more than enough to fish kings all winter out of Homer. And I put the muffler on the intake and exhaust and it is quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by tomfishhunter View Post
    I have a D2 in my 22' searunner and its more than enough to fish kings all winter out of Homer. And I put the muffler on the intake and exhaust and it is quiet.
    Where did you get your intake muffler at? I'd love to quiet down my D4.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Where are/did you mount the heater at the OP and where did you put the tank for it?