Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: No Parks hwy king fishing July 4th weekend

  1. #1
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,360

    Default No Parks hwy king fishing July 4th weekend

    Yup, its in regulation now... not an EO. This weekend is closed to king fishing of any kind on "Parks Highway" streams. Its hard to remember a 4th without fishing Montana or Willow creek mouths for kings. Hopefully the restrictive sport fisheries these last several years will help bring them back, and when they come back, regulations will not remain restricted.

  2. #2
    Member ak_cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    It only downstream of the Parks highway bridges. Catch and release above

    sent from my igloo

  3. #3
    Member Arcticwildman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    577

    Default

    I can remember quite a few 4th of July weekends years ago when it was closed. It took an EO to open it up for that weekend. It's only over the past 7 years or so when F&G liberalized the fishing time that the 4th of July was open by regulation. I'm glad to see it go back to what it used to be. We can't keep harvesting Kings at the rates we have been if we want to keep the runs healthy.

  4. #4
    Member willphish4food's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Willow, AK
    Posts
    3,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    I can remember quite a few 4th of July weekends years ago when it was closed. It took an EO to open it up for that weekend. It's only over the past 7 years or so when F&G liberalized the fishing time that the 4th of July was open by regulation. I'm glad to see it go back to what it used to be. We can't keep harvesting Kings at the rates we have been if we want to keep the runs healthy.
    I guess I should have also said that the liberalizations on the commercial side over the last 10 years have remained in regulation, to be reduced by EO. I'm not fine with that. We in sport fish can take all the cuts and restrictions we want to try to bring run strengths back up, but if the cuts are not shared on the other side, it will be much less effective. What did sport fish lose in regulation this year? One full weekend of fishing. All night time hours during the king salmon fishery in the entire Susitna drainage. So we lost 1/3 of our weekend only fishing, and 30% of overall fishing time due to the nighttime closure. Further restrictions can be placed by EO, and they were.

    On commercial side, the increased days granted in '08 remained in effect, and the increased hours granted in '05 remained in effect. Only regulatory restrictions were areas closed to protect Lewis, Theodore and Alexander stocks, and that happened 3 years ago. Nothing changed at this board. Any restrictions will be through EO.

    So sweeping restrictions were placed upon sport fishing, and no restrictions were added to commercial.

    Conserving fish does not bring a bad taste to my mouth. Carrying the entire burden does.

  5. #5
    Member Arcticwildman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    I guess I should have also said that the liberalizations on the commercial side over the last 10 years have remained in regulation, to be reduced by EO. I'm not fine with that. We in sport fish can take all the cuts and restrictions we want to try to bring run strengths back up, but if the cuts are not shared on the other side, it will be much less effective. What did sport fish lose in regulation this year? One full weekend of fishing. All night time hours during the king salmon fishery in the entire Susitna drainage. So we lost 1/3 of our weekend only fishing, and 30% of overall fishing time due to the nighttime closure. Further restrictions can be placed by EO, and they were.

    On commercial side, the increased days granted in '08 remained in effect, and the increased hours granted in '05 remained in effect. Only regulatory restrictions were areas closed to protect Lewis, Theodore and Alexander stocks, and that happened 3 years ago. Nothing changed at this board. Any restrictions will be through EO.

    So sweeping restrictions were placed upon sport fishing, and no restrictions were added to commercial.

    Conserving fish does not bring a bad taste to my mouth. Carrying the entire burden does.

    The 11pm to 6am closure is nothing new, it has been in effect for at least 3-4 years. Back in the old days once the first hour of midnight madness was over, the fishing was slow for the rest of the weekend. I kind of like the night closure, it allows new fish to push in and settle in the holes without being scared away by 24 hr action. Opening hour at 6am can be really good fishing for three straight mornings.

    As far as the 4th of July weekend is concerned, you aren't missing out on much. 95% of the fish have moved upstream and the fishing is mediocre at best.

  6. #6
    Supporting Member Hoyt-Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Mat-Su Valley
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    The 11pm to 6am closure is nothing new, it has been in effect for at least 3-4 years. Back in the old days once the first hour of midnight madness was over, the fishing was slow for the rest of the weekend. I kind of like the night closure, it allows new fish to push in and settle in the holes without being scared away by 24 hr action. Opening hour at 6am can be really good fishing for three straight mornings.
    I agree.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    The 11pm to 6am closure is nothing new, it has been in effect for at least 3-4 years. Back in the old days once the first hour of midnight madness was over, the fishing was slow for the rest of the weekend. I kind of like the night closure, it allows new fish to push in and settle in the holes without being scared away by 24 hr action. Opening hour at 6am can be really good fishing for three straight mornings.

    As far as the 4th of July weekend is concerned, you aren't missing out on much. 95% of the fish have moved upstream and the fishing is mediocre at best.
    Judging by how you boys in the valley like your cough medicine, it probably keeps the inriver crime to a minimum too. Sinners.

    Ha.

  8. #8
    Member Arcticwildman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Judging by how you boys in the valley like your cough medicine, it probably keeps the inriver crime to a minimum too. Sinners.

    Ha.
    LOL!!! Brother if that isn't the truth! It definitely quieted down the campgrounds that is for sure! We almost pass for civilized fishermen now :-)

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    I guess I should have also said that the liberalizations on the commercial side over the last 10 years have remained in regulation, to be reduced by EO. I'm not fine with that. We in sport fish can take all the cuts and restrictions we want to try to bring run strengths back up, but if the cuts are not shared on the other side, it will be much less effective. What did sport fish lose in regulation this year? One full weekend of fishing. All night time hours during the king salmon fishery in the entire Susitna drainage. So we lost 1/3 of our weekend only fishing, and 30% of overall fishing time due to the nighttime closure. Further restrictions can be placed by EO, and they were.

    On commercial side, the increased days granted in '08 remained in effect, and the increased hours granted in '05 remained in effect. Only regulatory restrictions were areas closed to protect Lewis, Theodore and Alexander stocks, and that happened 3 years ago. Nothing changed at this board. Any restrictions will be through EO.

    So sweeping restrictions were placed upon sport fishing, and no restrictions were added to commercial.

    Conserving fish does not bring a bad taste to my mouth. Carrying the entire burden does.
    I cannot believe you still push this position. The commercial fishery took the conservation burden well before anyone else when they were limited to 12,500 chinook in the quota but were never allowed to reach it. Time and area were restricted well before any action in the sport fishery, even when the runs were strong. Also, the commercial fishery was the primary harvester of Susitna chinook and over three decades have come down to a couple thousand fish harvested. Your position is just not defensible given the history of this fishery but you like to play the victim role - poor me - those bad commercial fisherman - just whining whining and for no purpose.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •