Thread: Frieghter Canoe plans (wood/canvas)

Default Frieghter Canoe plans (wood/canvas)

Hi Folks,

I have exhausted all my resources and search buttons to no avail. I am looking for plans to build a canvas and wood strip/rib 20'-22' freighter canoe. I do not want molded or fiberglass.

If anyone knows where I can get my hands on a set I would be plum tickled.

Thanks in advance

Dog_River

http://sandypointboatworks.com/boatstore/canoe-plans

I thought the mikmaq would be pretty cool to build, just google around, I was thinking the same thing last fall and found 4 or 5 sites with plans but I don't have enough canoe experience to figure out which shape is better and why. I'm sure there are a few guys on here that could shed more light on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am looking for a true Hudson/James Bay freighter canoe not just a canoe with a square stern. Like the Canots Nor-west canoes. here is the specs on their 22' "Labrador".

Length: 22 feet
    Beam: 62 inches
    Depth: 24 inches
    Weight: 545 pounds
    Capacity: 4500 pounds
    Recommended motor: Recommended motor: 30 to 50HP
    Flat wide

A work horse.

Dog_River

Well good luck, sorry I couldn't be more help. Looking at those specs the Hudson Bay wouldn't be a "true freighter" seeing as how it has the same weight capacity as the plans I linked to, and the James bay falls short of the specs you seem to want as well. Why not find plans for a smaller canoe and adjust the size to fit your needs?

I found a guy who has designed one and he sent me a study plan and it seems like it will work but I have to provide the constructions details which is not a problem. I will post em up when I get a bit of time, which should lead to a build thread to whomever is interested.

Dog_River

The Chestnut 'Daddy' had those dimensions....

http://canoemuseum.files.wordpress.c...ter-canoes.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dog_River View Post
    I found a guy who has designed one and he sent me a study plan and it seems like it will work but I have to provide the constructions details which is not a problem. I will post em up when I get a bit of time, which should lead to a build thread to whomever is interested.

Dog_River
    I would definitely be interested in both the plans and build, when the time comes

Not sure if the photo shows. Still figuring out how to do attachments here. But the picture is of a canoe built by a local craftsman in Wasilla. The cool thing that I did not take a photo of is that on the other side of this shop is a mold to make a bunch more of these. This is his second canoe off this mold. It's 20 feet long, about 48 inches wide, with pretty wide transom.

This is a beautiful canoe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com