Thread: Strapping a cataraft to a trailer

Default Strapping a cataraft to a trailer

Just a quick question on strapping a cataraft to a trailer. I use the large ratchet (about 2 ˝” wide straps) to strap the raft down. I really don’t like or want the large ratchet part touching the tube when tight while strapping the raft from side to side. Does anyone strap front to back? I have started to strap front to back with the large ratchets and then go over them side to side with 1” cam straps x 3.
    Any thoughts or suggestions to this method?
    The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

HOOAH

Get a closed-cell foam sleeping pad from the military surplus store, cut a couple of 4"x6" chunks out of it and place them under your ratchet strap buckles to prevent abrasion. You're fine with the side-to-side method. I've been hauling cats that way for years, with no issues.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks Michael, I will in fact cut up the pad I have and never use anymore. I will keep a close eye on the ratchets cutting thru the pad.
    The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

HOOAH

I do the same as Mike recommended, except that (after having lost one too many pads) I got some Gorilla Glue and permanently attached the foam to the bottom of the ratchet, with about a 1" overlap. The 2 straps I use for my raft are dedicated to that task alone, so it made sense for me.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Thanks Hippie that's a great idea with the glue. I think I will give that a try and double up on the pad.

HOOAH