Thread: Kenai beach tide conditions...

Default Kenai beach tide conditions...

I'm looking at the tide chart for the upcoming opener on the Kenai and the weekend right after it and I am seeing some very high tides, in the +20 to +23 foot range. How does that translate to how high the tide will reach on the north beach? I dont want to get trapped and let my truck take a nice saltwater soak for an hour or two.

You should be fine
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Keep listening to hoose and you'll likely get hosed. Them are some awfully high tides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah man, I want to know how high those numbers are in relation to how high theyll be on the beach.....

The last thing I want to happen is realize its coming in a lot further than I thought and at that point its too late to leave the beach

Also, be aware that all the land owners have posted and fenced their property along the beach to the mean high water line. To travel back and forth on the beach at high tide will be impossible. Please plan accordingly and either get down the beach or off the beach before high tide.

There is only one access point to the south beach this year. The City of Kenai fenced off one of the roads. Not sure how they can legally block a public right of way and section line easement but they did.

Scott

I'm looking at camping on the North Beach, but haven't been there when the tide has been really high. I camp between the road and the first bridge over the sand dunes, how far do you think the water will be up? With the tides they're expecting, is the water up to the metal signs? up to the dumpster? Halfway up the sand dunes? I know nobody knows for sure, but a ballpark idea would be really helpful.

North beach parking overflow is up the road at the ball park. You will be safe there.
    NRA Lifetime Member

These tides will reach the dunes at 24 feet. I would not be on the beach with my vehicle. Also, remember the volume of water is much greater and it comes in much faster. So getting off the beach with other cars can result in a mess. The City I understand is closing the camping area as it will be underwater. Not a good weekend from a fish and tide viewpoint. There may be some fish moving on Sunday on the backside of the big tides but the Northeast winds today will scatter the fish (it does not push them around only that attractant water gets mixed up out there) and it takes a few days for them to reschool and come to the beach.

Wow! I was going to keep the truck away from the beach, but I thought tents would be okay. Thanks for the info! It looks like tides aren't supposed to drop down below 20 ft. until like the 18th, would you recommend waiting until then to go out?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinBryan View Post
    Wow! I was going to keep the truck away from the beach, but I thought tents would be okay. Thanks for the info! It looks like tides aren't supposed to drop down below 20 ft. until like the 18th, would you recommend waiting until then to go out?
    If you are camping I would call the City of Kenai and see what they are doing relative to the camping area. They have a good handle on it. Call Parks and Rec people.

If you only have the weekend I would wait until next week. Right now I was over watching the boats fight the wind and waves in the river and they are not catching anything from what I can see. There will be fish moving to the river after Saturday but what day is hard to predict. The sonar counts are too late as they are at RM 19 two days travel upriver.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    If you are camping I would call the City of Kenai and see what they are doing relative to the camping area. They have a good handle on it. Call Parks and Rec people.
    Thanks Nerka. I called them and they said they're keeping it open. They said as long as you're up against the chain fence you should be okay. They also talked about the bottlenecks on the south beach and how you can get stuck. I could deal with camping somewhere else, but it seems silly if the weather is going to impede the salmon from running up the river. Maybe we'll make a day trip down Sunday or Monday and see how it's going.

Any info on the south beach and how it will be with the high tides? I'm headed down tomorrow for 4 nights...I've been there when the road gets blocked off at high tide which is fine, but I've never seen it swallow the entire beach where everyone camps at the end. Any suggestions?