Thread: Bear viewing around anchorage?

Default Bear viewing around anchorage?

Does anyone know of an area within driving distance of anchorage that I can take the wife this weekend for some high probability of viewing brown bears? Would love to do the Katmi thing but little to pricey right now.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

The zoo has always been a good place to see bears

The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center down across from the Portage turnoff would be a good place to get some good viewing and you get more than just brown bears. Plenty of other areas where there is a chance, but odds are relatively low of actually seeing one without putting in lots of hours.

Or spend some time hanging out and walking along the Russian river, not only are there brown and black bears that frequent the river, there is always a circus going on with clowns of all kinds imaginable performing all of the crazy, silly and stupid antics their little minds can dream up.

Guys, I wasn't thinking about caged bears........

I appreciate the Russian idea and was thinking of that but just wondering if there was something that might be a little more certain. Thanks for the help 338wm
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Just not that easy. The zoo is actually pretty cool, or the Wildlife Conservation center is a great drive. Moose? Somewhat easy to find, bears, not so much.

Your welcome, the conservation center and the zoo, as mentioned, are the only "sure fire" venues. Anything else is luck, but the Russian will certainly be a unique experience, and in all honesty, whenever I go there I expect to see bears, but that is not always the case. With the first run winding down and an abundance of fish having passed and been caught by anglers, there will be a great amount of food available to the wildlife, so the chance to see bears should be good.

Have a good and safe visit.

I've seen a couple while driving to the Eagle River Nature Center this year - three drives since the 1st of June, two roadside bears (one black and one brown). Not really likely to see a bear, but more likely than most places other than the Russian, and the hiking and views are pretty spectacular.

Floating the Upper Kenai would give you a better than decent chance of seeing a brown bear as well.

Another spot to try would be to hike along Campbell Creek, off Campbell Airstrip Rd. (South off Tudor Rd) Campbell gets runs of Kings and silvers and also gets bears, too.
    But I agree that the upper Kenai/Russian River area would be the best bet for seeing a bear.

I appreciate the help, spent the day down one the kenai and no Bears but did see a couple of moose calves one the way pack. Only a couple of days left till he have to head back to the hell.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Valdez is abit of a drive but I can't think of a time I have been to Valdez and not seen a bear when fish are in at the hatchery, both flavors too. I have heard the fish are starting to show up there. Also they can hike out on a glacier. not many people from outside can say they have done that.

Come down to Southeast; you can see all the bears you want with an average of 1 per square mile. Over 1600 on this island alone.

Lady got mauled today just south of Los Anchorage.......Bird Creek. Grizzly with two cubs.

http://www.adn.com/2014/07/07/354976.../99/100/&ihp=1

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Lady got mauled today just south of Los Anchorage.......Bird Creek. Grizzly with two cubs.

http://www.adn.com/2014/07/07/354976.../99/100/&ihp=1
    It shows the problem of most thinking one bear attacking when in truth its often three and even four. A good friend learned this the hard way. Two to three hundred pound cubs ending their second year with mom know how to take part in the action.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you