Thread: My latest Mini 14

Default My latest Mini 14

I did a little grumbling to the family recently about how I get to reload all the 223 ammo and it all gets shot through guns that I have purchased yet I get very little trigger time. It came to a head earlier this spring during in my quest to kill the Sasquatch Gopher(a huge ground hog that has my number). There wasn't a 223 rifle on the property. I put the word out to the boys in the family to fetch a 223 of one form or another back to my gun cabinet. What showed up was a newer Mini 14 Tactical with a red dot mounted like a scout scope.

I just got around to finishing setting the gun up to my liking and working up a load for it. The ATI tacticool stock was replaced with a Hogue. Medium height Ruger factory rings were installed and after trying several scopes I settled on an old Universal scope with fine hairs in fixed 8x. After 20 times out and 20 times back in I now have a trigger that breaks clean at 3&1/2 pounds after the slack is taken up.

The trip to the range left me as happy an confident in the rifle as any ever. As result I sent a mass text to "the boys" informing them that I had now staked claims on this Mini 14 & that it is not to leave the ranch. I shot 3 groups that all went under 1.5 inches using Hornady ZMax bullets on top of 26 grains of Benchmark.

I was considering buying one of the new struts that are now manufactured to stabalize barrel harmonics on the Mini 14. However it looks a lot cleaner with out one and inch and a half moa suits my needs.

U bess be looking up a recipe for gopher stew I reckon EKC!
    I have always liked the looks of a mini 14 yet have never shot one...

Took the neighbors 10 & 12 yr old nephews to the farm today and shot up a few boxes of 22LR that I was afraid may go stale!
    He brought along a German GPS, or something like that, with a silencer looking bbl shroud that gave us fits. It would fire a few then jam with only a slight impact on the case from the firing pin. Rem tgt ammo seemed to work better, but I could not pinpoint the problem. I tossed in a Henry 22 lever gun and a Ruger SR22 and the boys couldn't reload them fast enough.. Fun to watch kids enjoy the sport!

The uncle told the boys he used to be able to hit a dime with a 22 stuck on a board. I said heck, I used to throw a quarter in the air, draw and shoot it with a pistola, and then hold my hand out to catch the 2 dimes and nickel that fell after I shot the quarter!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Good to hear the new 14's can shoot. I have an old stainless that does 3 or 4" at a hundred no matter what you do to it but that's still in a deer heart at that distance.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I said heck, I used to throw a quarter in the air, draw and shoot it with a pistola, and then hold my hand out to catch the 2 dimes and nickel that fell after I shot the quarter!
    That's pretty good, Smokey.

I doubt, that even EKC could top that.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    That's pretty good, Smokey.

I doubt, that even EKC could top that.

SOTN
    Nope Smitty, I can't compete with that. Ya ever try to catch 25 pennies all falling at the same time? I cain't do it.

What really bothers me is getting out smarted by a gun shy woodchuck. I've even incorporated a trail camera and he is still there! Didn't know woodchucks had bird fingers He isn't far from getting 5 gallons of gas and a match!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Nope Smitty, I can't compete with that. Ya ever try to catch 25 pennies all falling at the same time? I cain't do it.

What really bothers me is getting out smarted by a gun shy woodchuck. I've even incorporated a trail camera and he is still there! Didn't know woodchucks had bird fingers He isn't far from getting 5 gallons of gas and a match!
    Well, you do get MORE CHANGE, in terms of quanity.

You two guys are amazing.

Maybe, Susquatch WoodChuck deserves to live.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Ya got to start with 5 nickels and slowly work up to 25 pennies. Ya also need to quit messing with the 223 and get a heavy barrel varmit gun in 6mmRem. Then you won't have problems with it walking off ( keep the 6mm stuff hidden ) and you can reach way out and touch that rascal. Zero the gun from your shooting perch to his front door, set back with a cold beverage and wait. Might even camo the shooting perch. Sometimes ya just hafta CHEAT. Might even have to set up a lady sasquatch gopher decoy. There are no rules in this war.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Ya got to start with 5 nickels and slowly work up to 25 pennies. Ya also need to quit messing with the 223 and get a heavy barrel varmit gun in 6mmRem. Then you won't have problems with it walking off ( keep the 6mm stuff hidden ) and you can reach way out and touch that rascal. Zero the gun from your shooting perch to his front door, set back with a cold beverage and wait. Might even camo the shooting perch. Sometimes ya just hafta CHEAT. Might even have to set up a lady sasquatch gopher decoy. There are no rules in this war.
    And bathe it in chuck in heat urine. I already sat up one of those port a johns on stilts and loaded up some 300 grainers for the 375 huh&huh! Now I'm fixen to pour a frosty beverage in a bowl and lower it down his hole and sit n wait.

I too, am glad to hear that they are making Mini 14s that are accurate, nowadays.

Now, if they would make them in a cartridge of decent power. An Automatic Varmint gun just doesn't light my fire. Nor, does the, By Thirty Nine.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I too, am glad to hear that they are making Mini 14s that are accurate, nowadays.

Now, if they would make them in a cartridge of decent power. An Automatic Varmint gun just doesn't light my fire. Nor, does the, By Thirty Nine.

Smitty of the North
    Mini 30, it has been around for a while.

EKC if'n ya get tired play'n hide and seek with that dirt devil just slap a 220 conibear over the hole and he will be history!
    This was a first, a dbl in one trap - jr was coming out and momma was going in!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....