Thread: klutina river second sockeye run?

Default klutina river second sockeye run?

A former co-worker of mine, a guy with much more time in Alaska than me, once claimed that there was a second sockeye run on the klutina, supposedly occurring in mid-July and into late August (if memory serves). Try as I might, I can find very few references to a "second run". Does a definitive second run even occur on this river?

3years ago i was fishing at the start of August catching Kings while my boy was catching Reds with a pink popper fly on surface. so yes. most ppl were back to fishing silvers else where or hunting. plenty of reds rolling by camp sites
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

I have heard there are several runs, but it seems more like one extended run with fish coming in random groups. Hard to put dates on them

I was there last year around July 12th and had my best fishing ever on the Klutina. Now it was a great year on the river for a long time before that so wouldn't say it was a "second run" but there definitely were fish going by at Mid-July.

Best part was we were only stopping at Klutina on our way to Soldotna from Tok. We wouldn't have stopped if my 10 month old was better at long road-trips but she had us doing small driving days so got to stop and catch some fish. Bad part was I kept 4 reds from the Klutina early one morning and then by the time we got to Kenai (daugher screamed most of the way on that long leg) late-late that same day I could only keep 2 more

That's exactly what I was thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by GOL View Post
    I have heard there are several runs, but it seems more like one extended run with fish coming in random groups. Hard to put dates on them

There is a definite second run that can be observed on the counters on the copper. I'm sure many of these fish head for the Klutina.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"