Thread: Kenai Peninsula Suggestions

Default Kenai Peninsula Suggestions

Hello everyone, first time poster here. I found your forums while doing a little digging for an upcoming trip my father and I are taking to AK. We are avid fisherman down here in our home state of WA, and have dreamed of a fishing trip to AK since I was a little boy (30 now).

Thanks to a very generous Christmas gift from my wife and my mother the old man and I will be spending the first week of August on the Kenai Peninsula at the Denise Lake Lodge. We have 3 chartered trips as part of our stay (two drift boat trips on the Kenai/Kasilof, and a day on the salt for Halibut).

The way the trip is scheduled it leaves us three days free to do our own thing. We will of course be limited to bank access, but want to get in to as many fish as we possibly can. This is where I am hoping to lean on a little local knowledge to make these days successful and enjoyable.

I'm hoping for your help with ideas for places we should target within a reasonable (a few hours) driving distance. We have a 4x4 rental set up, so should be able to get to most places. I don't expect anyone to give up their best honey hole, but if there are a few areas with lower fishing pressure that would be a plus. We tend to fish the smaller/lesser known streams in our area, and are never afraid of a little hike.

Lastly, if there are any suggestions on equipment to bring along that would be appreciated. I'm fairly certain salmon will hit the same stuff there that they do here, but any unique tips or tricks would be great.

Thanks for the help, we are counting down the days until our trip!

Quote Originally Posted by JJonesls1 View Post
    Hello everyone, first time poster here. I found your forums while doing a little digging for an upcoming trip my father and I are taking to AK. We are avid fisherman down here in our home state of WA, and have dreamed of a fishing trip to AK since I was a little boy (30 now).

Thanks to a very generous Christmas gift from my wife and my mother the old man and I will be spending the first week of August on the Kenai Peninsula at the Denise Lake Lodge. We have 3 chartered trips as part of our stay (two drift boat trips on the Kenai/Kasilof, and a day on the salt for Halibut).

The way the trip is scheduled it leaves us three days free to do our own thing. We will of course be limited to bank access, but want to get in to as many fish as we possibly can. This is where I am hoping to lean on a little local knowledge to make these days successful and enjoyable.

I'm hoping for your help with ideas for places we should target within a reasonable (a few hours) driving distance. We have a 4x4 rental set up, so should be able to get to most places. I don't expect anyone to give up their best honey hole, but if there are a few areas with lower fishing pressure that would be a plus. We tend to fish the smaller/lesser known streams in our area, and are never afraid of a little hike.

Lastly, if there are any suggestions on equipment to bring along that would be appreciated. I'm fairly certain salmon will hit the same stuff there that they do here, but any unique tips or tricks would be great.

Thanks for the help, we are counting down the days until our trip!
    By the first of August there may or may not be reds to catch in town (Kenai/Soldotna), otherwise you should definately plan a trip up to the Russian, preferable during the week. Take a pocket full of flesh flies, check in with one of the fly shops in Cooper Landing to get the good ones. Take a pocket full of "reds flies" too. Hike up to the falls, you can't fish at the falls but its worth a look. Then follow the river downstream from the falls and you'll find the regulatory marker where you can start fishing. Fish down to the mouth and you should be able to catch a limit of reds and lots of trout. Take a backpack each for your fish pack out and your lunch.

If you just want to catch LOTS of fish, the pinks will be in the lower Kenai, a pocket full of #5 vibrax in pink and chartruse and a good spinning rod will keep you catching fish all day long from cunningham park or eagle rock. That time of year they should be in good shape and plenty edible. Silvers will also be present in the lower river at that time, how many seems to vary from year to year but there is always a chance of picking one up while catching pinks.

I've never fished south of the Kenai in August so I can't help with the little rivers down south, maybe someone else will chime in.

Thanks for the pointers! How far of a trip is it to the Russian?

Your response seems to confirm what I was thinking that our trip seems to be right in between the tail end of the reds and start of the silvers. The gals booked the trip without a ton a research, so it kind of is what it is.

I don't care much for going after pinks, as we get a ton of them down here as it is. Are there any spots you would suggest for the best shot at some early silvers?

Silvers: +Eagle Rock off the Kenai Spur. Wald downstream from the parking. Silvers on the bottom, pinks higher. It is a $10/car pay site.

Crooked Creek crosses the highway just south of the Kasilof. Good Dolly fishing, small stream, brushy.

Ask your host before you leave home. Anchor River and Quartz Creek may also work. Some work the tide off the beach for halibut and such.

I have caught my yearly supply or red salmon the first week of August plenty of times. While lining sockeye you can get a silver or 2. I fish between Soldotna and Sterling

Quote Originally Posted by chinookee2004 View Post
    I have caught my yearly supply or red salmon the first week of August plenty of times. While lining sockeye you can get a silver or 2. I fish between Soldotna and Sterling
    Great point, I tend to switch to chartreus and pink flies that time of year in hopes of coercing a silver into hitting it!

You could also try fishing the mouth of the Swanson River at Capt Cook St Park. Chance of a silver starting to move in early August is possible.

Thanks for the awesome info guys!

Our trip is now a week away, I thought I would bump this back up to the top to see if there are any new/improved suggestions now that the time draws close. Thanks for the help!

My only suggestion is to take pictures, and post them up here when you get back

Good luck, and have fun.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com