Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Suggestions for gear?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default Suggestions for gear?

    Hi, we moved up to AK last year so we're pretty new to the area, still under a year. My family has been life long occasional fishers.... Not opposed, just never had the right chance to dive in. Well my 14 yr old has decided she wants to go fishing for her birthday. I used to fish a lot more when I was young, but since then not so much. Here's my dilemma. We're not loaded with free spending cash at the moment and buying a 1 day (non-res since we are not quite there yet) license is going to cost us $100 for the family. Are there any places in the valley or Anch that rent gear? We're just looking for a one day rental right now. I know we could pick up the dirt cheap starter kits at wal-mart et al, but I'd rather not have junk lying around when we're done.

    If she takes to it and wants to keep it up, we'll start investing in real gear that will last. But for now, just want to get her a taste. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,590

    Default

    Its "GARAGE SALE SEASON", too. An excellent place to find used fishing gear - at prices lower than WalMart. Hitting the right sales could leave you just getting fresh line for the used reels. Check Craigs List for garage sales (Alaska List might have them also). Both will have classifieds for fishing gear, but I really think you'll save more money by garage saling. My guess is that you could buy gear for what it would cost you to rent it.
    You might give 3 Rivers a call about rentals - I don't know of anyone that does that.

  3. #3
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,391

    Default

    What kind of fishing are you planning to do?

  4. #4
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    When are you wanting to fish, and for what (lakes/rivers salmon/trout/pike etc)?

    I've got enough spare gear to fill a garage, and would be happy to lend you what you might need, to get the kiddo and family on the water.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Now that you all mention it, my first thought was Salmon fishing on one of the local rivers/streams, but I had completely forgotten about the lakes. I used to do more trout fishing (pacific NW) and I guess I just assumed it would be salmon because, Alaska. Let me think that through.

    For now, I'm just looking for a relatively hassle free place to sit for probably no more than 3 hours and let the kids get some lines wet. If we catch anything, great. If not, I don't think it'll matter. We live in Eagle River, but would be ok driving just about anywhere if it's worth it.

    I was initially thinking Russian River (to let the kids see Cooper Landing and give the wife a place to see the town). But now I'm starting to think lake/trout would be more familiar to me. We don't have water equipment either so it would have to be from the banks.

    Birthday is the 13th, so it would probably be next weekend (11,12, or 13th).

    AlaskaHippie, where are you located?

  6. #6
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    I'm in the Valley.

    Whichever you decide to target, I have gear, so just let me know. I am flying out next week, but I'd be happy to meet up and loan you what you need. Just lemme know.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I'm in the Valley.

    Whichever you decide to target, I have gear, so just let me know. I am flying out next week, but I'd be happy to meet up and loan you what you need. Just lemme know.
    Above and beyond! Thanks. I'll let you know as soon as I can. Need to discuss with the wife and I'll get back to you tomorrow. How long are you out for?

  8. #8
    Member MatSuDano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I'm in the Valley.

    Whichever you decide to target, I have gear, so just let me know. I am flying out next week, but I'd be happy to meet up and loan you what you need. Just lemme know.
    Mighty solid thing you do there Hippie! Thanks for reppin' the valley the right way! MSD

  9. #9
    Member MatSuDano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Hippie's generosity is contagious; If you miss him, I'll be back in town Friday - could prolly hook you up with some gear to borrow.

    I've got a couple youngsters myself that I'm just getting into the sport - I get more thrills out of watching and teaching them than I do fishing myself anymore (I still like to bust a big 'bow on occasion; don't get me wrong!)

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Ok, I think the decisions are made. I'm planning a trip to the Russian near the confluence. I know "combat fishing", but it's easy to get to and we're not too concerned about getting a limit. Anyway, after talking to a guy at work, he offered to completely outfit us with his extra rods. Believe me when I say I truly appreciate the offers you guys made and I won't forget that, but for the sake of convenience (I can just transfer the gear at work) I'll borrow his gear.

    That said, I've been reading the "That Guy" posts to avoid being "that guy" and it brought up a question. I'm used to lure and or bait fishing. I read the rules on DFG and get the idea of the fly fishing, but I'm a little confused about how to do it? Are the Salmon actually biting the flies? or is the goal to hook them in the mouth? I know snagging is wrong/illegal so no worries. But my fear is that in my inexperience with the style (guy at work called it "flipping") I'll end up looking like that guy. Any thoughts or suggestions.

  11. #11
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    I've been reading the "That Guy" posts to avoid being "that guy" and it brought up a question. I'm used to lure and or bait fishing. I read the rules on DFG and get the idea of the fly fishing, but I'm a little confused about how to do it? Are the Salmon actually biting the flies? or is the goal to hook them in the mouth? I know snagging is wrong/illegal so no worries. But my fear is that in my inexperience with the style (guy at work called it "flipping") I'll end up looking like that guy. Any thoughts or suggestions.

    Sockeye fishing is done by the majority of people sport fishing by using a technique known as "Flossing" the fish. Often refered to by others in Alaska as "Flipping" You are correct to assume that the gear chases the fish and not the other way with fish pursuing the gear. Casting the sinker upstream 5-10 feet and letting the drift take your leader line in the current close to the bottom will allow the line to act as a fishing trap of sorts (actually lining the mouth of a fish as it travels along in the water) the drift will eventually slide the line through the mouth of a fish until it reaches the end (where your hook is at) and bingo hook in mouth. repeat process over and over (mindless fishing it is for the meat harvest)

    "Flossing" technique is done by using a sinker with a section of fishing line leader tied to a single hook with yarn or material on it to make it a "fly" It is effective, legal and widely accepted.

    Much has been written & debated about the validity and ethics of the technique. try doing a google search for the fishing method. Some anglers consider it to be basically a legal form of snagging (some states do not allow the method) use the search feature and you will find threads on here that discuss and debate the issue.

    What gets anglers in trouble is when they add a snagging motion or quick jerking motion to the end of the drift (often called the "Kenai Twitch")
    you will see it exectued if you travel to the confluence. No need for all that...twirking

    Heck all you need is a stick n string to floss red salmon.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Sockeye fishing is done by the majority of people sport fishing by using a technique known as "Flossing" the fish. Often refered to by others in Alaska as "Flipping" You are correct to assume that the gear chases the fish and not the other way with fish pursuing the gear. Casting the sinker upstream 5-10 feet and letting the drift take your leader line in the current close to the bottom will allow the line to act as a fishing trap of sorts (actually lining the mouth of a fish as it travels along in the water) the drift will eventually slide the line through the mouth of a fish until it reaches the end (where your hook is at) and bingo hook in mouth. repeat process over and over (mindless fishing it is for the meat harvest)

    "Flossing" technique is done by using a sinker with a section of fishing line leader tied to a single hook with yarn or material on it to make it a "fly" It is effective, legal and widely accepted.

    Much has been written & debated about the validity and ethics of the technique. try doing a google search for the fishing method. Some anglers consider it to be basically a legal form of snagging (some states do not allow the method) use the search feature and you will find threads on here that discuss and debate the issue.

    What gets anglers in trouble is when they add a snagging motion or quick jerking motion to the end of the drift (often called the "Kenai Twitch")
    you will see it exectued if you travel to the confluence. No need for all that...twirking

    Heck all you need is a stick n string to floss red salmon.
    Awesome. Thank you so much for the info. I was worried about that "kenai twitch" more than anything. Don't want to teach my kids bad behavior to start with.

    I realize it's not traditional fishing and it's just a meat factory. I'm ok with that for now. When/if my daughter takes to the sport, I'm sure she will be more inclined to fish in a more challenging and "traditional" way if you will. This is just to give her a taste.

    Again, thank you so much for the information.

  13. #13
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Glad you got the gear thing sorted man, Jedi is spot on in the technique and advice. Do bear in mind that while the 1st run is likely waning down there, fish are still coming through. Your best results will be based on the amount of sweat equity you put in, by walking up the Russian. The further you get from the confluence, the smaller the crowds, and the better the experience will be, especially for the ascetics of those new to fishing.

    My advice would be to hike upriver to the regulatory line below the "falls", it is a bit of a walk, but a beautiful one, and the fishing and the experience will be far more enjoyable without being crowded with folks. There has been a sow and cubs working that stretch, so be bear aware.

    Good luck!
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Thanks for all the help. I'll keep you informed.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •