View Poll Results: Should we have an Alaska Surfing Forum?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 51.61%
  • No

15 48.39%

Thread: Alaska Surfing Forum

Default Alaska Surfing Forum

Hmmm... might not be a bad idea. I know a couple of surfers that have surfed Alaska. Mostly Yakutat / Cordova area, but I've heard it's pretty good out at Adak too. I'm sure there are other places.

As to the forum, it's certainly doable if there is interest. I'll post a poll.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

THanks for putting that out there, michael!

Interesting poll results so far (although I can't vote, guess since I'm a new member). I can understand if a surfing forum might not appeal to everyone, but I don't get why anyone would oppose it. That's alright though, I don't mind hanging out with the kayakers, they'll cool.

Even if the surfer forum does not go through, I would hope the moderators/administrators would not mind if surfing topics could be discussed in the kayaking forum. I voted yes because it is an Outdoor activity that millions of people take part in. Granted, there aren't too many of those millions here, but it sure is a fun and healthy Outdoor activity. I wonder what orcas would think of a nice tasty looking surfer just offshore???
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default Poll

It shows that I can not vote on this poll either but would to be able to. I have lived in alaska for twenty five years but it seemed that all I did besides school and sports was surf. From Panama, up and down the east coast Calif, Texas and even behind a boat in the Lake of the Ozarks. I would like to see a form on surfing in Alaska. Ihave thought about trying Yakatat and would love some information on the area.

There could, of course, be a meeting in the middle, and just rename the kayaking forum to Alaska Kayaking and Surfing, since this Kayak forum is one of the lesser utilized of the forums.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default wind and waves

we have discussed quite often the wind and waves on the kayak forum, and so wind surfing and wave surfing may be a good fit in the kayak forum if it does not get enough bites in a forum of its own
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Good idea, Ripface. I'd be up for renaming this forum the Kayaking and Surfing Forum. The only downside to adding new forums is that without adequate traffic the forums tend to die a slow death. We want to provide a variety of topics here without becoming to watered down. Does that make sense? Active forums tend to draw in even more interest, so we try to only add forums as the interest dictates. So, what do you all say? Is a re-naming of this particular forum in order?

Thumbs up Yes

I am totally in favor of a surfing forum or rename. Moved up here 4 years ago, and I miss surfing most of all. Maybe I can get back into it, I would love to head to yakutat.... got to love those icy waves bro... I have watched some folks catching the tide waves in the turnagain arm, look like fun. Plan on trying it this summer with my kayak, and maybe next with the board.

For the longest time I thought I was one of the only ones who surfed in AK.

Been seeing more people at Montigue, Liska's always bring people out.

Best place in the state I have been to is kodiak.

Cattle Co. Ranch Road is a unkown, have never seen another soul out there minus the 5 of us who go there.

http://www.google.com/maps?q=Kodiak+...i=map&ct=title

Yak Surfing should take on here soon. I am very interested in it as My knees don't allow me to hop up. YouTube yak surfing and you will see how fun it looks and very doable with a little wind and tide.

I need to get my self lighter so I can justify a surfing yak for the Iliamna Lake I spend my summers at. East wind can bring some surfable swells.

George