Thread: Forty Mile Caribou EO

Exclamation Forty Mile Caribou EO

Poked around and didn't see this addressed yet. Heads up for everyone planning their fall.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap...s/03-03-14.pdf

AZinAK

It says delays 5 days for zones 1 and 3 by 5 days, but in the regs it already spells out august 10th. Then you look down in the EO and it still says august 10th. So it really only closed 25B? Sounds confusing.
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

The regs say 1 & 3 opens on the 29 aug. The 10th is for drawing. With the EO now they open on the 3rd. Sooo forty mile opens on the 3rd in 1 &3 unless you drew a tag.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

25B is closed because it's a 10 caribou per year area - yet the only caribou in the area are Fortymile caribou. Same as last season.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmagers View Post
    The regs say 1 & 3 opens on the 29 aug. The 10th is for drawing. With the EO now they open on the 3rd. Sooo forty mile opens on the 3rd in 1 &3 unless you drew a tag.
    Ahh. Alrighty. Thanks! I read that part wrong. It's pretty slashed up in those dated areas. Thanks for the clarification!
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Anyone know what the quota will be this year?

Its 1000 anuually. 750 fall 250 winter. If your interested in more info its in the EO at the beginning of this thread.
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

Definitely a bummer. I would think if over-harvest is an issue maybe it should be entirely closed to non-residents...

Or maybe even ,Only issue a limited number of registration permits ??????
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

I hear what you're saying about "limited number of registration permits" but hunter numbers are usually limited by drawing permits and that gets into the realm of "lost hunting opportunity of customary and traditional hunting" etc.......the legal departments really tie ADF&G hands with some of those rulings.

The 40 Mile Caribou Herd is a very difficult herd to manage as over-kill along road accessible areas can be excessive plus the fact that this herd is also regulated by international agreement with Canada.

Back in the 40's and 50's the caribou used to cross the Yukon above Circle but haven't in a long time until last year. Our fishcamp is 14 miles upriver from Circle and we've been seeing the occasional caribou wandering downriver on the riverbanks, perhaps if the caribou are going to start crossing again F&G should consider making some of unit 25B part of the 40 mile range and change the limit to match zones 1 through 4 instead of the 10 caribou limit geared toward the porcupine herd which doesn't even come over this way.
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................