Thread: Good Times at Chicken Gold Camp

Default Good Times at Chicken Gold Camp

We recently returned from a 1400 mile road trip to Dawson City and parts in between. One of the stops was in Chicken for two nights. I took my dad out prospecting on their claim for his birthday. Equipped with my 4' hand sluice, classifier, shovel, and buckets we fed the sluice material for 6 hours (the amount of time before our backs had enough!).

Being an amateur prospector and never finding much more than a spec of gold in the past two years I was very impressed with their claim. With each bucket we saw the gold collect and collect in the primary rubber riffles.

With it all said and done we walked away with 2 grams of the good stuff!
    Gave my dad the gift of gold and great memories. I have to say that my wheels are turning about how much we could have collected with a high banker...?

Thanks for the report.
    I will say although my highbanker will process more than a sluice by a good bit. Especially since no classification is required. You do have to dig and move that much more material. So It's not any easier on your back.
    That and the initial cost when comparing new is a highbanker is a minimum of $1,000 more expensive.
    You guys did good.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Visited them last year and heading back tomorrow for 3 days.. Nice spot to get away!

Kasilof, good points. I was thinking the highbanker would be easier on the back. I usually sit on a 5g bucket crouched over feeding the sluice with a garden shovel which kills my back vs standing up and shoveling.

I think a lot depends on the material you are working. If I have to bend over and move lots of large rocks that can be a pain.Or if it requires a lot of Pickaxe work to loosen it up that can get tiring. Or if I am bent over kneeling on rocks cleaning a bedrock crack that gets old real fast. Until I see some gold anyway.
    Digging gravel that has already been loosened by heavy equipment is the easiest.
    But I see your point on not being bent over. Just depends a lot on the material of course.
    Tons of AU 2 U,
    Chris
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"