Thread: Headset Recommendations

Default Headset Recommendations

Hey all,
    I passed my checkride on saturday for my private license, or as someone told me, my "learn on your own" license. Looking at getting a plane here sometime soon but I figured it might be time to look into getting my own headset too, whether I buy one or keep renting it will be nice to have my own. Any recommendations out there? I've been told Light Speed but also told there may be some better sets out there now-a-days.

Lightspeed and Bose continue to be the leaders but you can get really good headsets from Sennheiser DC or Telex as well. I haven't bit the bullet and gotten any of the nice ones though I have worn the Zulu 2 and Bose X. I might opt for the Squawk Shoppe base ANR model to get a balance of affordability with good ratings and good customer service...but I haven't tried one of theirs personally yet...

Lots of options. Try them on if you can.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

I own two Light Speed sets and they have been back to the shop a couple times because they use thin flimsy cables near the jack ends. But they are a dream to wear.
    I have an old light weight Dave Clark that is impossible to break, but clamps your head.
    Plus I have a cheap noise cancelling PILOT that actually works OK, but it has duct tape holding it together.
    Someplace or another I have a set by Soft Comm which have a push to talk on the head-set. They are pretty tough. I think my oldest daughter took off with them when she was dating a CFI...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

The top rated sets are Lightspeed Zulu II and Bose A20. Both have active noise canceling and bluetooth so you can listen to music or use your phone through your headset and both are around $1K. Some intercoms have music plug-ins but the Bluetooth is private to the headset. Pretty cool if that's important to you. I've been through a few headsets through the years. Several versions of David Clarks including passive and ANR, Sennheiser ANR, and now I use Zulu IIs. The Bluetooth hasn't been very important to me but as good as the Sennheiser ANRs were, the Zulu IIs are clearly better for noise control. In fact they're so quiet it takes getting used to. And now Lightspeed has released a newer version. Even more expensive, too. Keep your eyes open for used Zulu IIs as guys who have to have the latest and greatest upgrade to the new sets. If ANR is out of your budget I'd recommend a pair of David Clark H13.4s as a very good passive headset. H10-30s aren't bad, either, but the gel ear seals aren't my favorite in the winter (COLD). If you can pick up a set of used David Clarks you can add an Oregon Aero "Hush Kit" that'll make them better and more comfy (and warmer in winter) for not a lot of extra money.

Congrats on your new pilot status!

Most importantly they must be comfortable. I have a pair of David Clark H20-10. Three things I like; 1) comfortable 2) hidden wires 3) flexible bendable microphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Congrats on your new pilot status!
    Thanks!

I'll start looking more in depth into the suggestions, I appreciate it. Anyone know where someone could try a pair of Bose, Lightspeeds, or Dave Clark's on here in Fairbanks or even in Anchorage the next time I'm down that way? Comfort would be the most important, and as said before.

Northern Lights Avionics at Merrell Field has a decent selection in stock to try some. Best opportunity of all is in May at the trade show though...

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Aircom http://www.aircomavionics.com/batt.htm sells both David Clark and Lightspeed here in Fairbanks....Louis
    Louis Knapp