Thread: What do you recommend for fishing Reds on the Kenai

Default What do you recommend for fishing Reds on the Kenai

OK- It looks like we will be buying rod and reels in Alaska. Looking online at Sportsmen Warehouse- can anyone give me a rod and reel combination to order-Or would you recommend something else?

Any suggestions buying anywhere else? And again- We are trying to keep this as cost effective as possible.

I seen someone selling on Craigslist for $2.50/lb for whole fish- Is this a better way of going?

OK- I told you it wasn't the last stupid question

Doug

Walk into Trustworthy Hardware and pick up a solid sockeye-capable flyrod (8 wt) and mid-grade reel with something more than a click-pawl for a drag.

Don't worry about fly line… spool it with mid-grade 30-40# mono and tie on a quality 15-20# leader to your circle hook. If you pre-tie your circle hook leaders, you basically have one knot to tie on the water to get back in the game if you break off. The good part is you ALWAYS break off at the same pre-determined spot in your system.

Easy peasy

WAY more ergonomic and efficient than any other tool out there
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I agree with fishNphysician. The latest sales flyer for Trustworthy Hardware - and that's in Soldotna, BTW - has a 9' 8wt Okuma flyrod for $39 and an Okuma 8/9wt fly reel for $36. I might spend another $10 for the next better reel, but it's up to you. Load it with mono, grab a handful of weights and hooks and get after it! Nice set up for under $100.

As a side comment, Trusty's does not stock circle hooks. I've asked them to, but none on the shelf today… Sportsmans Warehouse - also in Soldotna - has circles...

I wouldn't buy fish from some dude on Craigslist. Might be last years bottom of the freezer stuff… not to mention the legality of selling what may be sport-caught fish...
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

I will third trustys. In general their stuff is WAY cheaper than sportsman's. Plus better service. If you don't go the flyrod route a Abu garcia bait caster reel and an 8'6 salmon bait caster works well too.

Quote Originally Posted by aces-n-eights View Post
    I agree with fishNphysician. The latest sales flyer for Trustworthy Hardware - and that's in Soldotna, BTW - has a 9' 8wt Okuma flyrod for $39 and an Okuma 8/9wt fly reel for $36. I might spend another $10 for the next better reel, but it's up to you. Load it with mono, grab a handful of weights and hooks and get after it! Nice set up for under $100.
    This combination has accounted for hundreds of fish between me, my wife and various family and friends over the last few years, no reason for more or less.

Personally, I love my flyrods up on the Russian, but on the Kenai it's bigger fish, more current. For most folks, especially with less experience, the baitcaster is an easier choice, imho. Typically better, stronger drag, more ergonomic handle for hours of casting/fighting fish. And a stouter rod helps a bit too. Even when I do use a flyrod down on the Kenai it's my 10...I save the 8 for the Russian.

I should correct my previous statement, we use 9wt almost exclusively.

I do use a 7wt on the Russian in case I feel like trout fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Already 10,000 hit July 1st. Going to be fun this year.

Quote Originally Posted by wsg7057 View Post
    Already 10,000 hit July 1st. Going to be fun this year.
    Figures, i'm going to miss the first two weeks!