Thread: Woodleigh 240 grain for 3006

Default Woodleigh 240 grain for 3006

Does anybody use 240 grain Woodleigh's in their 3006 if so does it make a good bear round the I know they have been used in the Northern Territory of Australia for water buffalo, but a friend of mine used to shoot Northern Territory water buffalo, with a 7x57 through the shoulder with nosler partitions during the 1950s so I'm not sure how a Northern Territory buffalo would compare with the brown bear. It's just that when I finally get to Alaska. I only have a 3006 were and are would like to be able to use it the most things. Not I would not like to have a dedicated their rifle but funds being what they are. I will have to wait a while. Also, how much Woodleigh projectiles, because it might be worth be stocking up on them. Before leaving Australia. I am jumping the gun a bit with article be at least the year if not two before I get to Alaska thanks a lot
    Cheers Karl.

Search the forum for posts by Beartooth. He has loaded them abit in the 30'06 and 300 WBY. I have some but have not loaded any as of yet.

Woodleigh are the ONLY bullets I recommend to anyone. The 240 grain will be fine as long as you are using a 1 in 10 twist barrel. The 220 grain are fine and so are the 180 grain. I've loaded them for any number of successful Alaskan hunters that have taken trophy brown bear.

Some of the guides I load for will no longer ask for any other bullet than the Woodleigh's.

I will load nothing else for myself but the Woodleigh's. I shoot the 180 grains for everything in my 30-06 (one in twelve twist). If I use anyone of my many .375H&H's, it's the 270 grain Woodleigh's. Every hunter that I know here in Alaska that has used them think they are the finest hunting bullet made!

I first got on to them when I meant the owner at the shot show in 1996 and talked to him for a long time. I don't know of any other tool maker that is a bullet maker in the world. He is quite a guy.

I called them with a request a few years ago for his bullets in 6.5mm, I explained that our sheep hunters that like his bullets for the safety factor they afford against grizzlybear would love to have them available in this caliber to use on there sheep hunts. He agreed and we now have them for our benefit.

I just wish I sold his bullets, other than in loaded ammo. You have picked the vary best when you pick Woodleigh!

Question Ruger M 773006 twist rate

Big AL, thanks for the information on the Woodleigh 3006 projectiles. I've got a Ruger M77, stainless synthetic with the standard length barrel. What's the twist right on my rifle. At present are working up a load for 180 grain woodleigh's would these be big enough brown bear/moose caribou. At present I'm using ADI powder 2209. Is this available in Alaska, if not I will have to start from scratch when I get to Alaska working at my loads. Banks will you help Cheers Karl.

Karl: your Ruger is a one in ten twist barrel, and will handle the 240 grainer's just fine.

As to your choice of powder, I do not load this powder in 30-06 as I have found the two that I prefer over all others to be IMR 4350 and WINCHESTER 760.

A quick preview of ADI web site shows the AR 2209 powder to burn right at the two powders I use. http://www.adi-limited.com/handloade...quivalents.asp

As to will the 180 grain Woodleigh's work for brown bear, moose. The answer to that Sir, is shot placement.

In the words of the great John Taylor: " Make all your shots, shoulder shots."