Thread: help out an atv illiterate

Default help out an atv illiterate

I have finally come to the conclusion that some kind of reliable mechanical conveyance is a good idea for caribou hunting for myself and my 11 year old. I have reluctantly talked myself out of a 570 Prowler HDX as too expensive and hard to transport but it looks like a lovely way to go. Can afford either an AC TRV 400 or 550. Does Arctic cat make a good quad? The 550 is liquid cooled and has a locking front differential and has 12 or so more HP. Is this worth the 1500 price differential? I like the extra length of the TRV for 2 up riding and replacing the seat with a heavy duty rack or cargo box looks pretty good for solo trips. Any thoughts or guidance is welcome.

I want to buy new and these machines are about it for my budget locally.

We have both Arctic Cat 500 ATV's (2006) and a 700HDX Prowler(2013). So far they have all been good machines, but both have there place/purpose. One thing that you might want to look at is one of the TRV's, since there might be two people riding. As far as upkeep, my 2006, 500 ATV has over 2600 miles and so far I have replaced the wheel bearings, brake pads and the bushings for the suspension.
    Yes I am a Cat fan and see no problem with getting them. It seems that all of the machines out there are getting better, so have fun picking one out. As far as cost goes, how many years of use/enjoyment will you be able to get out of one?

My dad has the 550 TRV. I put about 100 miles on it this last weekend all in 2 up and it worked great. Plenty of power and very comfortable. I was very impressed.

Thanks. Went to the Polaris dealer to look at their 2 ups but the little Ranger 570 has turned me head completely. something about this little side by side is working on me pretty hard!

Bought a new2014 ranger 570 limited edition...at a reduced price. Couldn't resist it.

Quote Originally Posted by North61 View Post
    Bought a new2014 ranger 570 limited edition...at a reduced price. Couldn't resist it.
    Thats great, would like to hear your review on it after you get a chance to take it out. We have been looking at the same one also.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabarbwire View Post
    Thats great, would like to hear your review on it after you get a chance to take it out. We have been looking at the same one also.
    Happy to do so. Will be at the house by Tomorrow or Saturday.

I think you will love your new ride as long as you dont expect a hot rod. It will be a great workhouse and far more comfortable when 2up.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    I think you will love your new ride as long as you dont expect a hot rod. It will be a great workhouse and far more comfortable when 2up.
    Thanks..I did a lot of research before buying. I wasn't a hot-rodder even when I was in my 20's. My farmer-truck driver Dad taught me to respect machinery. I still have my Yamaha Venture snowmobile from 1997. The ranger is small enough to slip into a lot of places I want to go and big enough to carry a lot with no trailer.

The carrying capacity of the little Ranger opens up a lot of possibilities. Will be installing a winch and a roof and the darn things looks like a lot of fun. It will even get my wife out with me. When camping we can go above minimalist. I think it will open up a lot of country for us!