Thread: Carbon Cub LS License

Default Carbon Cub LS License

Starting to get the inch and learned of these made for the Light Sport License, I have my Private with several hundred hours, but can not longer pass the medical. Looking at these, anyone here have any knowledge about them??

Also, how do I get trained, is my current Drivers License and PPL, acceptable to fly with an instructor?

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AhUkjjpSOs
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

http://www.aopa.org/Advocacy/Regulat....aspx#aircraft

Above is the FAQs. Looks like you need or had in the past a class three medical.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    http://www.aopa.org/Advocacy/Regulat....aspx#aircraft

Above is the FAQs. Looks like you need or had in the past a class three medical.
    I meet the requirements, my last medical expired and was never revoked.
    Founding Member

As long as your medical hasn't been denied you can get a BFR and fly any aircraft that complies with LSA rules. That is, one that's listed gross weight does not exceed 1320# on tires or a slightly higher weight on floats. The Carbon Cub is one of many. Probably the best performing of the crop, but performance comes with a large price tag. New ones with popular equipment are in the $225K range. A cheap used one will set you back $150K. You won't be able to build one for much less. The 100hp Sport Cub is less money but still steep compared to a Rans Courier or a Just Highlander. Read up on the proposed expansion of the LSA weight class. There are efforts underway by EAA and congress to expand the no-medical 3rd class weight class to include bigger airplanes. The EAA proposal asks for 180hp 4-seaters and the congessional version calls for anything up to 6000# at 12,000' under something like 225kts. What they'll really settle on is anyone's guess but there's anticipation of big news next month. If something really happens you'll have a broader choice of useful and less expensive airplanes. The Carbon Cub will still be a great airplane but the value in the market may see an adjustment. Better to be a buyer than a seller in that scenario. :-)

Okay I guess my question is this,, can I get training from a CFI in a Super Cub to get a tail dragger endorsement, without a current class 3 medical?

I would really like to see if I have the skill set to fly a Cub before I spend 200K.
    Founding Member

You can fly dual instruction hours without a medical. Solo flight in a larger aircraft requires the medical. So you should be able to get the training in any cub flying with a CFI.
    14 Days to Alaska
    Also available on Kindle and Nook

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon View Post
    You can fly dual instruction hours without a medical. Solo flight in a larger aircraft requires the medical. So you should be able to get the training in any cub flying with a CFI.

Thanks Sir.
    Founding Member

One of my best buds has a carbon cub and is LSA only. He'd be worth talking to if u get down here. There are lots cheaper ways to accomplish this however. Tho not many sweeter. Nice rig.
    As far as having the skills- a cub is probably the easiest anything to fly. You'll be fine.
    Get in someone's cub before you buy and wiggle the sticks.
    Good luck and just do it. You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Hamon View Post
    Hopefully not a thread hijack, but before he gets started down wrong path-
    That's not correct....(Though there are ways to accomplish what u need)...you aren't "getting training in any cub"

See FAR 61.23

Cheers
    KA

Am very familiar with 61.23.

Dual instruction on the part of the receiving person is not necessarily 'exercising the privileges' of your certificate. As such, it can be done without a medical so long as the CFI is the PIC. This is how all pre-solo flight instruction can be done without a medical, and this is how people without medical certificates can continue to fly, by doing so with a CFI, in aircraft that require a medical.

How do any of the requirements of 61.23 contradict this? The circumstance of a CFI acting as pilot in command is only dealt with in that section in that a CFI is required to have a medical, nothing about the student.
    14 Days to Alaska

Part B of 61.23 states when you don't need a medical cert. He doesn't fit in any of those to my understanding.
    He holds a private so the student pilot example is out of play.
    Of course; if he's not "receiving instruction" its all a non-issue…. (NOR would he need a CFI). Different story all together.

Sorry if I offended, not my intention. I'm trying to understand what you are saying but I'm thick skulled I guess. What part of 61.23 B applies?

To get a tw endorsement as he asked about, he'd have to receive instruction. That'd be hard to have CFI as PIC.

Stid,
    I would suggest your consult your CFI. I know a GREAT dude up there for ya if you pull the trigger. Moonlights at Proflite.
    Matter of fact, I'd prob stop by pro-flite if I were you.

Good luck and don't look back. You won't regret it.

OK so I think I digested and understand…
    He just can't use the endorsement after he gets it I guess.
    So you go LSA the next day or fly with instructor if u fly?

That correct?

AK-HUNT,

No offense felt or intended on my part either, just trying to sort out the situation you felt you were seeing here.

My understanding is that so long as he is receiving dual instruction he can get a tailwheel endorsement from any CFI that is qualified to act as PIC during the training, and that he can then use that endorsement to go and fly a tailwheel-equipped LSA. As you say, he would not be able to act as PIC for anything not an LSA, so that would not change, but he should be able to receive training in a non-LSA aircraft that would work for him in terms of granting him access to a broader range of LSA airplanes.
    14 Days to Alaska

I have done tail wheel training , which is all dual, for people with expired medicals. The endorsement then becomes active once they re-newed their medical or if they fly LSA in a LSA eligible tail-wheel aircraft.

Just like how I can give and sign off a BFR for a pilot with a lapsed medical... Once the pilot renews the medical they are good to go... I am acting as LEGAL PIC during those flights.

A $40,000 PA-11 or modified J3 with a 90 or 100 horse is a great LSA plane and that would give you another $180,000 to spend on gas.......
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Stid,

If it's been a few years since you walked away you might ought to talk to somebody about your DQ condition to see if a special issuance is possible now. The SI process has become a bit more liberal than it used to be. Depending on your problem you might be able to fly standard category again. If you do choose to look into it be discreet. Any denial of a medical will make you ineligible to fly LSA, but there are ways to investigate it without risking a denial. The LSA category isn't very useful for more than hobby flying. A 900# airplane with a 1320# gross is pretty limiting. Better than nothing, but limiting. Perhaps the FAA will expand on the rule and raise the gross limit. I hope!

Interesting discussion. Thanks

I'll be in your backyard next week Troy. Maybe grab a cup.

FP,
    Agreed on the cheaper planes!
    I have a friend with a solid Champ floats/whls/skis. $29k. LSA I imagine.
    That's a small investment for alot of fun and exploring IMO.

Lots of great info,, thanks so much. I have done a lot of research and know that there is other options,, just like the Carbon Cub, as from what I have read it is the best of the LSA options for Alaska hunting.
    Founding Member

Re: Carbon Cub. If you build it you can do so in E-LSA at 1320# and fly LS. If the FAA raises the gross limits of the LS category you can, as the builder, re-classify your Carbon Cub to a higher gross weight. If you buy a factory built S-LSA you can't do that. It will always be limited to 1320# no matter what, and there are some differences in the wing of the factory vs kit Carbon Cub. I've had my checkbook out several times to buy a Carbon Cub kit but there's been a golden carrot out there to raise the gross limit and all told I'd rather fly a 180 than a Cub. How my own story unfolds remains to be seen, but I agree that the full-blown 180hp Carbon Cub is a very nice airplane. Especially in the E-AB category at 1865# gross.

Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com