Thread: Chulitina 2014

Default Chulitina 2014

Heading up to the East Fork to Talkeetna tomorrow for the holiday weekend. Has anyone floated it this year? I see the water levels are high but not quite alarming yet. Should be a great time if the weather forecast is correct! Anyone heading up there?
    Nate

akinco,

How was the float? We are planning on doing our annual trip in a couple of weeks. I drove by a couple of weeks ago and there looked to be a lot of wood in the East Fork at the bridge. If you have a trip report it would be much appreciated.

Sorry for the delay. The East fork was high, fast and cloudy. No fishing to be had, lots of littered wood. Nothing crossing the entire river. We put in at 11am and realized we should stop and camp right before we made it to the Fountain river. This was about 6pm or so. I think thats roughly 33 miles or so. Usually am on the braids day 3! Needless to say it was fast. No problems to speak of really. Made it through the braids without an issue too. Think we got hung up once. 84 degrees for two days! Wx was amazing. Saw one other cat and a few jet boats heading up the Tokonsitna when we stopped for lunch at the confluence. Easy float all the way to Talkeetna. Off to the Gulkana in a week! Then lake creek.
    NAte

Thanks for the writeup! Sounds like a great trip.