Thread: NICS Background Check Question

Default NICS Background Check Question

Every time I buy a firearm I always get a "delay" on my background check. Never been "denied", just always a "delay" some of the LGS's that I've bought a firearm from have the three business day policy where I can pick up the firearm after three business days if they don't get an answer. It got such a hassle that I got a UPIN#. From then on, a few times I got an "approved" right away and a couple of times I've gotten a "delay" again. I know that a UPIN# doesn't guarantee an "approved" everytime.

My question is, "Once the LGS calls me back and says that I can come and pick up the firearm, how many days do I have to go and pick it up before I'd have to re-do a NICS check again"?

I filled out a NICS check on Wednesday June 25th and yesterday was the end of their three business day period so I could technically pick it up today July 1st but won't be able to pick it up until Monday July 7th. I've talked to the store and have gotten mixed answers. Would appreciate any experience if anyone has in this, Thanks👍

1. The people who work there make the same amount of money no matter how well they do their job.
    2. When they look down the list, there is a mark next to the name of anyone who has fingerprints on file. But it does not say why the prints are on file unless they dig deeper and that means work....
    So if you are or were in the C.A.P. were a Cop or bus driver or whatever reason your prints might be on file, it shows up on the list just like somebody who has been arrested.
    3. I also believe there have been intentionally generated computer outages with the system as well.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Yeah, the only time I did my fingerprints was to get my UPIN #. I've been delayed even with a UPIN # and approved right away. Probably 50% and 50%. This is the first time I've had to wait the three business days. I do have a common first and last name, I put my SS# down, and I've never been in trouble with the law. I'm just wondering how long after an "approved" OR 3 business days, will I have to redo the NICS check again if I don't pick up the firearm right away.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...rm-transaction

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...ochure_eng.pdf

When a delay response is received, this indicates that information supplied on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Form 4473 has been matched with information contained in the National Crime Information Center, the Interstate Identification Index, and/or the NICS Index. Complete information is not always available and a further review of these records is necessary. The NICS exhausts all efforts to retrieve current record information by contacting law enforcement agencies, i.e., local, state, federal, courts, etc. The Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 allows three business days to obtain this information prior to the transfer of the firearm. The Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) is not prohibited from transferring the firearm after three business days have passed; however, the FFL is not required to transfer the firearm.
    I think the form 4473 is valid for 30 days, and I know the NICS check is valid for 30 days from when the check was initiated.
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/brady-law.html
    you should look into the concealed carry with NICS exempt card. Couple hundred bucks and two days of your time, but the hassle factor goes way down..
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I'm thinking maybe the delay has something to do with your forums name.

Where do you work? Around here, there's a power plant and everyone who purchases that works there is delayed. Also, Do you put your SSN on the form? If you have a common name, that may account for the delay, although "further review" usually suffices. Also, I am assuming there's nothing in your past

30 days from when the NICS check was initiated is the answer.

Kirk out

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    1. The people who work there make the same amount of money no matter how well they do their job.
    2. When they look down the list, there is a mark next to the name of anyone who has fingerprints on file. But it does not say why the prints are on file unless they dig deeper and that means work....
    So if you are or were in the C.A.P. were a Cop or bus driver or whatever reason your prints might be on file, it shows up on the list just like somebody who has been arrested.
    3. I also believe there have been intentionally generated computer outages with the system as well.
    personally speaking, my longest wait time has been 5 minutes. Both buying and selling. With or without my ffl. As far as fingerprints go, mine have been on file since 1992 both state, fbi and Interpol, paper and digital scanned. I think the problem lies in the recent volume of guns bought and the cutbacks in jobs in that department.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    personally speaking, my longest wait time has been 5 minutes. Both buying and selling. With or without my ffl. As far as fingerprints go, mine have been on file since 1992 both state, fbi and Interpol, paper and digital scanned. I think the problem lies in the recent volume of guns bought and the cutbacks in jobs in that department.
    I've had my fingerprints on file with FAA, NRC, and FERC. Never been delayed. Just to add to your point.

That simply can't be possible. If it were true, almost everyone would have this issue. Every military service member from the last half century has "prints on file." Every law enforcement officer, every teacher in America (I've had my fingerprints done twice in FL and twice in AK), every Federal employee, every person who works at an airport, every CWP holder, every person who was ever bonded for a job...every...get the idea? I can't think of anyone over the age of ten who hasn't had fingerprints taken somewhere for some reason and sent in to the FBI.

Let me think back a minute...I've had my fingerprints taken...at least fourteen times in my lifetime, if I'm not forgetting any, and I always get an instant approval.

The OP either has a name in common with a criminal or other disqualified person, or has something in his background that requires further investigation. When I was selling guns at an FFL (a decade ago) I would see this "Delay" responses quite often, although in that experience, they usually came back denied.

I do have a very common first and last name and there are thousands of people that have my full name. I've never been in trouble with the law accept two speeding tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooterassassin View Post
    I do have a very common first and last name and there are thousands of people that have my full name. I've never been in trouble with the law accept two speeding tickets.
    I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but no anti government posts, no cell phone calls voicing your opinion....... just kidding. I sometimes think they put folks on hold as a training exercises. Not funny in the least bit. I would also think high volume from a non ffl holder would flag. Believe it or not, the fastest I have ever bought a gun using the system has been in the last four years. Of course my ffl is faster still
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

To actually answer your question. The 4473 form is valid for 30 days after you fill it out. After that, a new one must be completed.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

That simply can't be possible.
    3/4 of the time that I have my name and numbers called in they stall on approval. I make sure to have the person told that I am retired law enforcement. Apparently the military prints are not in the system.
    Anyway they then take a second look and approve the request. They always say " Oh, that explains it."
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    That simply can't be possible. If it were true, almost everyone would have this issue...
    Yeah- I've been printed more times than I can remember for several different things. Never had a delay.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

As was mentioned above, in most states a carry permit cuts through this BS like a knife through warm butter.Even in the lower 48,you can walk out with a new handgun on the spot.

And, in a traffic stop, it gives MOST LA officers some reassurance that you are not a skell.

Just a thought...

Are you sure on #2? I've been printed for getting my foster care license and I've never gotten the waiting period treatment from a store. Maybe because they simultaneously background checked me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6