Thread: Ballistic calculator question

Default Ballistic calculator question

I recently bought a pair of Leica hdb binoculars. In the process of setting them up with the custom load data on the memory card. When I look at leicas ballistic calculator I notice there is no way to in put atmospheric data. It just says at the bottom that the chart will be based on 30.24 inhg. My question is, do I need to go shooting, gather my data(velocity, atmosph pressure, temp, elev) then take those numbers, put them in shooter and convert them to 30.24inhg, then plug the corrected numbers into the Leica program?

Atmospheric conditions change continuously. Your HDB will measure the atmospheric conditions every time you range and input that data into your ballistic equation on your card before rendering a result. Note it may take your geovid up 30 min to equilibrate to the current atmospheric conditions (esp. temp) depending on where they came from (eg under your coat) compared to your current conditions. Do not hesitate to call Leica as they have been quite responsive in my experience. It is ideal to zero your rifle at std. atmospheric conditions for the most accurate results. Good Luck.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Don't forget to factor in elevation.It can have a major effect on the ACTUAL BC of a given bullet...and hence actual zero and trajectory in the field.

The HDB will measure your elevation and add the current value to your ballistic calculation to give you the equiv. horizontal range.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"