Thread: buying old boat with only bill of sale?

Question buying old boat with only bill of sale?

Im interested in a boat forsale but its older and only has a bill of sale no title.

Do they hav3 titles?

And can I get it registered without a title?
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    Im interested in a boat forsale but its older and only has a bill of sale no title.

Do they hav3 titles?

And can I get it registered without a title?
    In Alaska, yeah, no problem. In any other state in the Union, don't walk away, run away!

Alaska has an affidavit of ownership for boats tha you can fill it and submit with your application for registration numbers. It's a single page form that essentially says "I bought this boat legally and it's mine." After that, it's your boat. You still have to pay the normal title fees. You can download and print the form or yu can get a copy at the DMV office.

It's so easy, it's actually frightening-knowing that anyone can steal my boat, fill out that affidavit, and get a title for it.

Enjoy your new boat.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    It's so easy, it's actually frightening-knowing that anyone can steal my boat, fill out that affidavit, and get a title for it.
    Well, you've got to provide a hull number on the affidavit, so at least there's that. But yeah, I just did that on an old Mokai I bought (the seller wrote the bill of sale on a 3x5 card, which I promptly lost) and the DMV agent look at it twice.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by mlshore View Post
    Well, you've got to provide a hull number on the affidavit, so at least there's that.
    Not necessarily. You can check "homebuilt" and no need for a HIN. No one from DMV inspected my boat to verify the information I put on the affidavit. (That's obviously not going to work with a big Hewescraft if you ever get checked by law enforcement, but how often does that happen? Not often to recover your boat.)

Thanks guys! Gonna pick it up soon!
    Semper Fi!

The boat can be done with the DMV Application for Boat Registration. It will need "preferably" Hull number, make, model, feet, engine type and color. A simple bill of sale from the owner can make things go a little faster at DMV. If the seller does not give you a title for the trailer, you must state in the Affidavit section(9) of Application for Registration that the trailer is under 1,000 pounds and no title was given to you. This statement is used when no title or bill of sale is given. If there is not a VIN on the trailer, DMV will assign you one.
    "Without fantasy there is no basis for reality".

Alaska is ridiculously easy for buying a boat. In Alaska, there are no boat titles, only registrations. Say it's homebuilt if you can't find the HIN, and the computer generates one for you. BOS can be handwritten on a napkin....

Best part is no tax.

off to the dmv tomarrow. wish me luck! can find a id number but dont know what year it is.
    Semper Fi!

go over to the iboats forums and ask around there. Bet you'll figure out something pretty close.

Greythorn, will this boat be a bowpicker perchance? Business in front, party in back?

well boat registration went great, but they want me to get the trailer weighed and drag it in for them to inspect it for the deal. trying to get the title off guy if he can find it now.. i dont know how i will get a dang weight with boat on the trailer if i have to.
    Semper Fi!

Take it to Alaska Sand and Gravel. I know they used to do that, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    problem will be getting atrailers weight with the boat on it, i think they want the weight of it empty...
    Semper Fi!

Ohhh. I see one solution...

Check out comparable new trailers on line. Many list a weight. Close enough!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    World Wide Movers off Arctic also offers the service for $7 per weigh.

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    problem will be getting atrailers weight with the boat on it, i think they want the weight of it empty...
    I like Vance in AK's idea best. If you absolutely need to get an official dry weight on the trailer, you could take it down to Ship Creek and launch it. Have someone babysit the boat while you beat feet to WWM to get the trailer weight. Round trip would take an hour. A goat roping event at best...but it still is a way to get it done. If you need someone to watch the boat while you're on the scale run, pm me...I'd be happy to help you out.

seller thinks he can find the title.. lets hope. them people at the dmv palmer office want an OFFICAL weight slip. what ever thats supposed to mean, i told them its 600lbs but they want a slip..
    Semper Fi!