Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x or 10x binoculars

Default 8x or 10x binoculars

I thought I would post this on the hunting side because I would like to know who likes 8x or 10x particularly for HUNTING purposes. Glassing areas looking for big game animals in Alaska. What do you guys have, and what do you think about the issue?

schmidty

Default 8x

I have bushnell (I know, please don't judge me) that are 8x and I really like them. They are the modle that is compact but has full sized lenses so they are easy on your eyes. They are about half the length of normal bino's so they are easy to tuck in a jacket and get to quickly. They were also much less than $100, so if they get smashed up on a hunt it won't traumatize me.
    The 8x seems to be plenty of power without too much shake.

Minox 10x43 HG's for me!

Default 10 x

Definitely 10 x, no question about it.

When I first came up here I used Swarovski 8x30's and they just aren't enough, so I went and got the 10x42 and they are much better for western big game hunting especially in Alaska.
    Marc Theiler

I also opted for the 10x after using both in the field.

Default If you can afford...

get the 10x, if not the 8x will do.

10x40 for me

Default I have a pair of both

I have a pair of pocket sized leupolds gold rings that are 8x and a pair of Swarovski 10 x 42. and unless I'm just going to take a ride in the truck or something where superior optics are not needed the 10xs get all the work.
    Also those strap things that go around your shoulders are the best thing ever invented. takes all the weight off you neck and keeps the binos from flopping around.
    If you have the money and are planning on using binos a fair amount in your lifetime thyen get a high quality pair, swarovski, leica or zeiss. You will not regret it. And to the second guy on this post I don't worry if my swarovskis get broken on a trip as they are warranted for life.
    Justin
    Justin

10x42 for me, it's pretty versatile, I use it in my tree stand too, from close ranges to see how rubbed out a bear is. but ultimately for scanning mountain ranges and draws, to me this is the best all around range, and besides I don't think I could afford or justify buying another 8x power in this particular brand. ...K

Talking Definitely 10

I use a 10X50 Steiner for most hunting and a compact 10X40 for close in timber lurking (I love to lurk). I find the the 10X50 almost eliminates the need to pack a spotting scope, except in trophy hunting situations. "Expensive" doesn't necessarily mean better clarity (one of the best I've ever seen was a very inexpensive pair) but get the best you can afford for quality and longevity.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default 10x42

Swarovski 10x42 EL.

I don't leave home without them.

kingfisherktn

Leica 8x42. Been using them for two seasons now doing wildlife surveys along the Kuskokwim. Don't waste money on cheap glass, buy the best you can afford.

Smile These work too...

Swarovski SLC's in 7x42...clarity, and how bright they are is amazing...I have no complaints with these...would just take a spotting scope for anything waaaaay out there...

Happy Hunting...

AZinAk

Mark

Zeiss-Jena 7x40. The clarity is perfect, auto focus, and a wider field of view than both 8x or 10x.

The close in examination is performed with a spotting scope, if needed. I have a 15-45x60 Burris spotting scope, but it's too bulky for hunting, really. I prefer my little 20x50 fixed power Alpen mini spotting scope, which only weighs 10 oz. and is less than 6" long.

Got both, prefer the 8 x 42 swarvos for hunting. I take the spotter for getting real close and personal.

Default binocular power

I have used either 7 power or 8 power for several decades of hunting in AK - mostly sheep, goats, and bear and along with a good spotting scope never felt at a loss. Because of the much greater distances involved with Asian sheep and goats I finally purchased a second pair of binocs in 10 power and have found it to have been an appropriate expenditure...but definitely did not eliminate the need for a quality spotting scope.

Default 8 or 10

Well for out west and Alaska where it isn't dense vegetation I would go with 10 or 12 power. If you are in thick stuff I would go with 8. I have a pair of Cabela's Alaskan guide 12X50's and love them for out west.

Thumbs up Steiner

I have been using a pair of 9x40 auto focus steiner's for over 10 years. The are a medium size but not to heavy. Also rubber armor for extra protection. And with an exit pupil of over 4.5 they let in plenty of light. I use them for every thing for looking for shed antlers in thick cover to hunting mulies in the high deserts of the west. Whatever you choose they should be the best you can afford, a size that suit your individual hunting needs, and tough enough to withstand the type of hunting you do.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I love my 12-50 Bushnell's, money well spent and they go wherever I go, either on the boat or out sledding through some of the roughest terrain imaginable. Waterproof, shockproof, fogproof and guaranteed, need I say more?
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

10x40 Zeiss for the past 25 years. Best piece of outdoor gear I have ever purchased.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast